jsm555

Replacement for Network Magic?

I've used NM for years and really like the graphical representation and ability to restart the connections, etc. Unfortunately, as time goes on, NM seems to be more and more buggy: platform service won't start, multiple instances of devices on the device map, for example. 

It appears that Cisco is no longer supporting this product - does anyone know of a replacement that I might purchase?

jaymay

Re: Replacement for Network Magic?

Though the software is no longer available for purchase, I believe if you are going to their tech support about any software concern, they are still going to provide support. It's just that no further development anymore for the software since it's already like an EOL product. For your replacement concern, you may check the Cisco Connect Cloud available on linksys' smart wifi routers. Check out this link for further info: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/ccc.

HASAM

Is there another substitute that will perform the same job that I can purchase?

Thanks

opheliaimmortal23

None for now I believe. We can only wait from Cisco to announce if there is a software that will work like the network magic but none so far for now.

HASAM

Thank you for the info :smileyhappy:

jsm555

Thanks for the info, not the answer I wanted, but it is what it is... It appears that Netgear has a product that they provide (free) for their routers called Netgear Genie - more features than Network Magic, and from what I can tell on their website, the company IS supporting it. Hate to replace a working router, but that's probably the cheapest alternative now.

asbaker

It is already the end of April 3013 and no replacement for Network Magic which I love because it connected all my equipment on various versions of Windows or phones, etc., at great ease. I'm really upset about this for the time NM may stop functioning.

Has anyone tried that Netgear Genie program yet to do a clean install of a network? Also there seems to be a router (Cisco Valet Plus) that will automatically install itself and create a usb key to help install all the other pieces - wonder if anyone uses that yet? Though I wonder how that would work for a Kindle, for example, I'm a novice at networking and NM is perfect for my level.

Any comments?

Expert
zee29

They have not announced that they will create a software that would replace Network Magic. If you go to the website of Network Magic you will be routed to the Linksys store site where they announced that Network Magic is no longer available (www.purenetworks.com). It seems that Linksys is focusing on their Linksys Smart Wifi firmware. Regarding the Cisco Valet, it has the cisco connect software that will help setup your network and also give you your routers information.

To know more about this, please check the links below:

Title: Cisco Connect Frequently Asked Questions

Article ID: 21480

Title:Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Frequently Asked Questions

Article ID: 25837

Dominic58

I have been using NM since it came out and when I heard Cisco bought them I was hopeful that they would enhance it not kill it! I have been looking at the netgear genie and IM about to pull the plug on my linksys equipment and purchase netgear and give it a try. Like everyone else IM just frustrated!

Dominic58

so i downloaded netgear genie and was impressed with the gui, however i had to purchase a router to get it to work.

the router was harder to setup then the linksys but thats not why im writing this.

even though the gui in NG is better then NM it has flaws for one you cant expand the window so your stuck with three seperate pages to look at instead of one or two, NG only works with netgear routers which is understandable, the bottom line for me is i like the featues that NG offers  and im sure if cisco would update NM they would have some similar upgraded features as well.

a nice feateure that NG offers is network traffic so you can monitor upload and download speeds, the one thing i wish NG or NM would show is the speeds of each device on the map itself.

another benefit NG has that im Sure NM would have by now is the phone APP. nice to monitor your network from your phone or tablet.

so im running both apps for now and having the best of both worlds.

still wish cisco would put some money into NM im sure it would be superior overall.