Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
stanwhjr
Accepted Solution

What exacfly _is_ "Network Lock" ...

as opposed to, say, "wireless scecurity" (I. e.,  a selected encryption standard) or a router access password?  Nothing I've seen in the Network Magic docs explains this feature more precisely than saying that it "locks intruders out of your network."  My question, then, is how?  What router setting does this manipulate?

My Network Magic environment is as follows:

Comcast-provided Toshiba cable modem (model # not handy as I'm away from the computer)

Linksys WRT54GS router, access password-protected

HP Pavilion Elite HPE204f host computer running Windows 7 Professional

Network Magic 5.5, most recent updates as of 6/01/2010 download

I'm using a trial download of Network Magic 5.5 which has no trouble locating my Linksys WRT54GS router -- manually pre-configured with changed default SSID and access password, SSID broadcast disabled, WPA2 enabled/keyed, MAC address filtering enabled, etc. -- and connected devices (currently 1 wireless laptop, 1 wired printer) or determining that WPA2 wireless security  is active and dsiplaying the WPA2 passphrase under "Wireless security."

However, "Network Lock" is shown as "Disabled" and, at least upon 1st click, Network Magic reports that it "can't be configured for this router."  Given that other security measures are in place and active, I suppose I can live without "Network Lock" if I must, but I would like to understand precisely what I'm living without.

Thanks in advance for any enlightement.

stanwhjr
thecreator

Re: What exacfly _is_ "Network Lock" ...

Hi stanwhjr,

Not all Routers support the Network Magic Lock feature. I don't know, if your Linksys supports it or not.

My D-Link Router supports the Network Lock feature, because it has a Network Filter built-in into the Router. Read your Owner's Manual to learn about the Linksys Router.

thecreator - Running Network Magic version -5.5..9195.0-Pure0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3
Running Network Magic version -5.5.9195.0-Pure0 on Wireless Computer with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.131 Wireless Computer has D-Link DWA-552 connecting to D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router.
stanwhjr

Thanks for your reply, thecreator, but unfortunately it doesn't quite address my actual question.  As my router is a couple years old and shipped with Linksys EasyLink Advisor (LELA) rather than Network Magic, its docs say nothing about the latter program of any of its features.  The router is, however, listed on Cisco/Linksys pages as one that Network Magic supports, so I know that some or all of the program feature should work with the router.  And most do.

What I really want to understand is what "Network Lock" _is_.   What does it do to "lock intruders out of [one's] network" that is _not_ already achieved by, disabling SSID broadcast, enabling WPA2 and MAC address filtering, and password-protecting router acccess?    A clear understanding of what additional security, if any, the Network Lock feature provides would help inform a decision whether to consider upgrading to a newer router with which the feature does work.  If it's merely a GUI widget in the Network Magic program to turn on/off some router capability that can be manipulated via direct interaction with the router, it's hardly a worthwhile reason to replace a perfecly functional device.    Possibly attempting to be "helpful" by insulating non-tech-savvy users from the techincal details of router functions, the Network Magic docs simply omit any discussion of what Network Lock actually does and how.

stanwhjr
Shellexecutor

Network Lock is a feature similar to MAC Address filtering. Every device has its own MAC address so by activating network lock, only allowed devices can connect to your network.

Hope this helps.

stanwhjr

Got it, Shellexecutor.  That makes sense.  So, having already manually set up MAC address filtering in the router, enabling Network Lock, even if Network Magic decides that's doable with the WRT54GS, won't really gain much.  Thanks.

stanwhjr