Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
afmom8

application failed to start because netsh.exe cannot be found

My virus program (CA) picked out several files associated with Network Magic and quarantined them. They are netsh.exe, net.exe, verclsid.exe and reg.exe.  How could these files be infected?  I set up net2go, does this have something to do with the errror?  These files were quarantined at approx 4:50 pm 7/8/09 and 3:00 am 7/9/09.  I really don't want to deinstall and then reinstall if there is another solution.  Our computers are still networked and the program seems to work ok.  Also, I had an error to insert my XP CD because of unknown files being downloaded? I did not do this.

zzfan

Re: application failed to start because netsh.exe cannot be found

Same thing happened on July 9th. CA found a virus  and quarantined it. It keep re-finding it so I deleted the quarantined "virus". Now this netsh.exe keeps popping up. I need help!!

ZZ

jeffreywilens

This is is definitely a serious problem which I have experienced on two Windows XP computers using CA anti-virus.  I reinstalled 5.5 and rebooted and the error messages appear, even before I ran an anti-virus or anti-spyware scan.  You might try snoozing your anti-virus for 30 minutes and see if the problem goes away.  If it does then this confirms it.  Network Magic/Cisco or whoever needs to address this ASAP.  I am going to try to call them Monday.
Bridesdale

I am having the exact same problem and have been going crazy since 7/8/09 with it!  I was running Panda on my laptop and put it on my Desktop that was running the CA because the laptop has had no problems, but I can't get the netsh.exe to stop popping up evry few minutes and I don't know how to fix it - but Panda anti-virus say the computer is now clean - I hope so! I am worried that if I let it keep on that it may cause other problems. I have uninstalled LELA everyday until today and reinstalled and it stops until I shudown and reboot and to starts looking for the lost netsh.exe again.
AugieD369

Hi everyone, one of the recent updates to CA has been causing false positives and is removing important system files such as netsh.exe.  I would contact CA directly for assistance in getting netsh.exe back going, and also make sure you have the latest updates for CA.

My source is http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31853138/ns/technology_and_science-security/

My Cisco Network Magic Configuration:
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 A1 FW:1.04, connected to Comcast High Speed Internet
Desktop, iMac: NM is on the Windows Partition, using Boot camp to access Windows, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit RTM, Broadcom Wireless N Card, McAfee Personal Firewall 2009,
Mac Partition of the iMac is using Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Laptop: Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, McAfee Personal Firewall 2008

Please note that though I am a beta tester for Network Magic, I am not a employee of Linksys/Cisco and am volunteering my time here to help other NM users.
jeffreywilens

Netsh.exe is definitely missing from my Windows/System 32 folder and apparently that is causing the pop-up message with nmctxh.exe.  But yet after uninstalling NM, my system runs fine, no popups and no crashes.  When I reinstall NM, the popups resume.

So there is more to this than just the CA false positive and removal of netsh.exe.  Why is only NM affected?

Also, I tried system restore to restore my system pre-July 6th (when the defective CA virus database was used) but even though I have plenty of system restores, it keeps saying unable to restore.

zzfan

You described this perfect. I had a chat with CA and they had me restore the quarantined files but this did not help. You said you un-installed NM...what is NM?? Does anyone know if this is a virus or just CA's mistake?

ZZ

jeffreywilens

[ Edited ]

NM is Network Magic of course LOL.

I finally got the error message to go away.

1.  Update CA anti-virus to latest definitions.

2.  You need to add netsh.exe to Windows/System32 folder on your computer.  It must still be missing even after the restore quarantine efforts.  If you have access to another computer with XP on it, you can just copy the file and put it in the right directory on your computer.  Otherwise, use windows recovery console and a windows XP disk.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/ht/windowsrecovery.htm

3.  Then reinstall NM.  It should work fine without the constant error messages.

Message Edited by jeffreywilens on 07-13-2009 02:09 AM
zzfan

First of all....thanks so much for the help. I did download NM (I had LELA...another Lynksys product) and the problem went away for about 18 hours.....go figure.

ZZ

zzfan