tm2@sbcglobal.net
Accepted Solution

Can't write to NAS200

Running Windows XP.

I try to write on my NAS200 drive - can't do it.

I CAN write to the USB hanging off the back of the NAS200.

does this have to do with FAT32 on PC and NAS200 drives being NTSF?

Trouble is - I am a total newbie and only understand 1/2 of what I'm reading.

Is there software that will let me write to NAS200 from my pc ? So I can put my photos and music etc out there ?

Thanks

T

scrooge

Re: Can't write to NAS200

What error message do you get when you try to write on the NAS200 ?

Are you able to access the drives connected to the NAS200 all the time without any problems ?

Are you facing this problem since you bought it ?

tm2@sbcglobal.net

[ Edited ]
The Error:
Error Copying Cannot Copy whatever filename: Access denied
Make sure the disk is not write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

When I go to the Linksys Admin 192.168.1.7
and login as administrator I have two users.
Admin and Guest.

There are 3 shared Folders
Disk 1 (for admin R/W and for Guest Read Only)
HDD_1_1 (for admin and Guest both R/W) - I'm pretty sure this is the USB hanging off the NAS so all users have read/Write right to Shared Folders of USB disks.
PUBLIC DISK 1 (for admin R/W and for Guest Read Only)

I guess I was assuming that  I am User=admin. But now I realize there si no way for the NAS to know who I am ? Perhaps I am guest? or perhaps I need to make a User the name of  my login on my XP machine?

So, to test to see if I was coming in as guest I changed
PUBLIC DISK 1 to R/W for admin AND Guest.
Disk 1 will not allow me to give Guest ANY rights. It is on No Access with other options greyed out.
I still can not copy to the drive. Still have same eror.
FIXED:! THank you for making write out the error message. It made me think. I disconnected all mapping to the NAS and remapped using the administrator login etc... AND I CAN WRITE ADN DELETE! THANK YOU!
I will now create a user on the NAS that is NOT the admin and map using that new user.
This will make life SO much EASIER! THANK YOU!
Regards,
T
Message Edited by tm2@sbcglobal.net on 05-27-2009 02:39 PM
laurend

I am having the same issues after updating to the new firmware. I was able to to everything before. What am I missing?
jac_goudsmit

Go to the Web GUI of the NAS and on the System Options page, turn off the "Convert Failed Logins To Guest Logins" option.

When Windows connects to a network drive, it tries first to log you in with the same credentials as what you used to log in to Windows. It will ask you for a different user name and password if the login fails, but the NAS pretends that it was successful and logs you in as guest unless you turn that option off.

I recommend setting up a user account on the NAS that matches your user account in Windows, that way the connection will succeed immediately and you will get the exact access you want.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
suhrrog1

Re: Can't write to NAS200 -You've got to be kidding!

This is CISCO's official answer?

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows updating Twonky media server and running other software.

I can't believe it!

If the cooling is the proiblem, then why can't CISCO provide a cooling fan that will work?

Converting guest logins is not an option, for security reasons.

I do make backups but with enven just 250 GB (1/4 of capacity) that becomes a long running chore.  The access time of the NAS200 over the network for samll files is so slow, it slows down to 20MB/s

last time I backed up the 250 GB I have on my disks it took me 3 days????

So, please CISCO, come up with a better sokution for this issue.

Thank You

Roger W. Suhr
jac_goudsmit

Re: Can't write to NAS200 -You've got to be kidding!

[ Edited ]

First of all, I don't work for Cisco. The statements in my signature are just advice that I personally give to everyone in this forum and elsewhere (notably linksysinfo.org) where people often ask the same questions. I'm doing this to help people, take it or leave it. If you don't like it, feel free to ignore it but don't rant here if you decide to do so.

The cooling fan is clearly inadequate. I don't know how Linksys or Cisco or Sercomm got to the decision of using a tiny 30mm fan to try to keep two hard disks cool but instead of whining about it, I put my Dremel to work and installed a different fan in my NAS. It works great and it's really quiet.

Converting failed logins to guest logins is an option that's on by default because in most home situations it doesn't matter that everyone has access to all files, but it makes troubleshooting more difficult in situations where you need more access restrictions, and the option is kinda hidden and people often don't think of turning it off because they don't realize how important it is.

I realize that backups are painful with a NAS that can only push 4 to 6MB/sec (definitely not 20 as you say!). It doesn't help that the USB connections only support FAT32 for writing. I use Jungle Disk Server Edition to back up my NAS online and it took me almost a week to do my initial backup. Fortunately I don't change many files that often so now each incremental or differential backup takes only a short time.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.