r_michael_small

How to delete files from drives connected to NAS200 via USB

I have two drives connected by USB to an NAS200. I can view the various files/folders but can't find, anywhere in documentation, on how to delete the files. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I assume the methods for deleting from those drives will be same for deleting from the NAS drive(s). 
gandalf

Re: How to delete files from drives connected to NAS200 via USB

It should be similar to the deleting files on your Hard Drive...
r_michael_small

gandalf wrote:
It should be similar to the deleting files on your Hard Drive...

That's what support where I bought it says but it is not. The files are all "read only" and from windows I cannot modify the attributes, even though I am the admin. The NAS manual makes no mention of, nor can I find any within the GUI control, ability to chmod, etc. on files the NAS is "controlling", although the NAS claims the folders are all shared with all users. I would say that's a severe oversite. The NAS is running *IX so if I could access it via a SSH, or similar, connection I could probably hammer the files from the shell. Sadly, I am unable to locate any clear information regarding.
Mared1784

If your drive is NTFS then you only have READ ONLY access. You need to be on FAT/32 to have READ & RIGHT access.

Please check this article. Linksys Answer ID 16801

r_michael_small

[ Edited ]

Mared1784 wrote:

If your drive is NTFS then you only have READ ONLY access. You need to be on FAT/32 to have READ & RIGHT access.

Please check this article. Linksys Answer ID 16801

I believe that is a key bit of information. The drive does show  as a NTFS system, but so does the NAS disk. Hmmm, I wonder if the tech guy who set this up chose NTFS for the NAS?
Message Edited by r_michael_small@juno.com on 05-14-2009 06:29 PM
Mared1784

Not quite, the SATA drives in the NAS are formatted to EXT not NTFS.

BTW, you can do a simple test by connecting a USB Flash Disk on the USB port of your NAS but make sure it's formatted to FAT/32 then do a simple CUT and PASTE to it.

r_michael_small

I've confirmed I can open new folders on the other USB connected external, as well as the NAS. All I want to do is delete some files from one of the drives, so I'll probably connect it to one of our laptop USBs enable showing hidden files and go from there.
r_michael_small

I decided to backup the folders I want then just format the disk. Probably the easiest thing to do.
Mared1784

Good decision! Just one thing, I suggest you format your drive using the NAS200 and not the computer.