professorlayton
Accepted Solution

NAS200: One of the Shared Folders cannot be accessed by even the admin account.

Good day everyone.

I know this is the best place to have my question answered. :smileyvery-happy:

Anyway, we've had this NAS200 for about a year or two now and it hasn't had any problems until recently.

We have different accounts and folders within the storage and one of them is Shared Folder A.

Lately, when I try to open Shared Folder A, it tells me:

\\192.168.xx.xxx\Shared Folder A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

I have checked my user settings and being the admin for the NAS, I have Read/Write capabilities for all folders within the NAS.

I checked the folder via run (using Windows 7). Unlike other folders, Shared Folder A, does not display the Offline availability and Offline status. Like so:

nokiamatters.png

Shared Folder A does not have the status display like mis folder does. 

I am stumped as to what the problem is.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! :smileyhappy:

jac_goudsmit

Re: NAS200: One of the Shared Folders cannot be accessed by even the admin account.

"Insufficient Resources" means that the Samba server on the NAS ran out of memory. It shouldn't happen, but it does. The reason is probably that you did a lot of file operations at once (e.g. copy an entire directory tree), and Samba tries to keep information about each file in memory. You probably saw it slow down a lot before you lost the connection.

The problem will probably solve itself once you reboot the NAS: push the power button on the back side to shut it down (it will beep to confirm the button press, then after a minute or so the lights will go out), then push it again to start it up (you will hear a beep, followed after a few minutes by another beep to confirm that it's online). Don't simply pull the plug or you may corrupt your data.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
professorlayton

Re: NAS200: One of the Shared Folders cannot be accessed by even the admin account.

Thank you very much Jac! :smileyhappy:

That did solve it.

dtplus10

Jac,

I originally had a similar issue ("Insufficient Resources exist..."), where I was not able to access my mapped shared folder; but rebooting the system did not solve it for me.  Now when I open my mapped drive, I get the error message:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to

\\nas200\PUBLIC DISK 

Microsoft Windows Netowrk: The network name cannot be found.

This connection has not been restored."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suspect it is related to the fact the user list on my NAS200 has been wiped out - the box is empty.  And when I attempt to add or recreate users, I get the error message: "Error: Failed to get user list."

Access to my three media server shares (video, music, picture) works fine and all data seems to be intact.  I'm able to access the media shares via my TV and my iomega media server.

Any idea what could be causing the 'user administration' issue and how I might recover my basic CIFS or 'file sharing' functionality?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave

jac_goudsmit

I've never seen (or heard of) a problem like this before but it appears that your configuration got corrupted.

Try pushing and holding the reset button on the back of the NAS200 for 30 seconds, that should reset the configuration completely. I'm not 100% sure if it will fix this problem but it's worth a try.

Note, this also resets the network configuration so you may need the program from the CD-ROM to connect to the NAS again.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
opheliaimmortal23

[ Edited ]

dtplus10 wrote:

Jac,

I originally had a similar issue ("Insufficient Resources exist..."), where I was not able to access my mapped shared folder; but rebooting the system did not solve it for me.  Now when I open my mapped drive, I get the error message:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to

\\nas200\PUBLIC DISK 

Microsoft Windows Netowrk: The network name cannot be found.

This connection has not been restored."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suspect it is related to the fact the user list on my NAS200 has been wiped out - the box is empty.  And when I attempt to add or recreate users, I get the error message: "Error: Failed to get user list."

Access to my three media server shares (video, music, picture) works fine and all data seems to be intact.  I'm able to access the media shares via my TV and my iomega media server.

Any idea what could be causing the 'user administration' issue and how I might recover my basic CIFS or 'file sharing' functionality?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave

Hi there. A friend of mine encountered a similar issue and he tried enabling the Convert Failed Logins to "guest" Logins (Windows Networks) and it fixed the issue for him. Try that. :smileyhappy: So far, I have not heard any issues from him since.

dtplus10

Thanks for the reply ophelia!

Tried that one with no luck.  Even if it was related to that, I presume it would not matter since my 'users' list was wiped out (i.e. nothing to authenticate against).

dtplus10

Thanks for the reply Jac!

I'm not worried about "post reset" access because I can "fix" the address in the settings of my DHCP server.

Will the system reset affect all configurations, including the disk configuration?  I.e. will my RAID config (RAID1) be wiped out as well?  If yes, will the disks be functional after the reset, or will they need to be reconfigured by the utility and formatted?

hillary681

dtplus10 wrote:

Thanks for the reply ophelia!

Tried that one with no luck.  Even if it was related to that, I presume it would not matter since my 'users' list was wiped out (i.e. nothing to authenticate against).

just to verify, the shared folders are only inaccessible via the computer, right? you may try to map the network drive again as the directory you assigned it is no longer accessible. i've tried this myself and i'm able to access shares using a different directory. i'm using the storage link on my router though. did not have this issue when i was using a NAS.

hillary681

dtplus10 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Jac!

I'm not worried about "post reset" access because I can "fix" the address in the settings of my DHCP server.

Will the system reset affect all configurations, including the disk configuration?  I.e. will my RAID config (RAID1) be wiped out as well?  If yes, will the disks be functional after the reset, or will they need to be reconfigured by the utility and formatted?

the RESET should not, in any way, affect the disk configuration. it should RESET the device's network configuration only. to be on the safe side though, you may take out the drives prior to doing a RESET. turn off your NAS, give it time to cool off, and remove the drives. turn it back on (wait for the beeps to know that it's online) and RESET. wait 'til the NAS has booted up completely, turn it off and re-insert the drives. from there, reconfigure the NAS to reconnect it to the network.