dmartin200

NAS200 and bandwidth usage

I am all connected and working fine and have an external HD connected to the NAS. I want to move all the files from the external HD to NAS (300 gb) of data. My question is.... does moving this data have a bandwidth usage in terms of gigs or is this just files transferring between the two devices which reflects a transfer speed/rate in that pop up window.

Thanks for any insights.

D

jac_goudsmit

Re: NAS200 and bandwidth usage

Yes, if you're using your computer to copy files from the USB drive on the NAS to an internal drive on the NAS, the data is transported over the network twice.

It would be more efficient to connect the USB drive to your computer and copy it from your computer to the NAS, because that way the data only has to go over the network once.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.