Satpal
Accepted Solution

NAS200 shows "Not fromatted" and how to use drive on MAC?

Hi, I just bought NAS200 as it was a good deal for $109 in Frys.com. I want to do wireless backup with large 2-3 TB backup SATA drive. So I bought 1 x 1.5 TB and 1 x 1 TB Seagate barracuda SATA drive. Some how I am so confused to use it with MAC that I did various things to get it working including firmware upgrade. I have Thermaltake SATA 2 bay enclosure and I did format to 1 TB drive in MAC using disk utility but NAS200 isn't recognizing it.

My purpose of buying this NAS200 is having wireless storage and it should be fast and I want to store files the way I am storing in USB drive with MAC OS X Journaled file system and don't want to use FAT or NTFS etc.

Also how to access these drives in MAC is a big question to me and I did lot of googling and finally came here to understand things better.

I read few articles about SMB configuration which is did but since disk is not formatted it's doesn't work properly. 

Please help me. 

great_white

Re: NAS200 shows "Not fromatted" and how to use drive on MAC?

I think NAS200 supports FAT32, NTFS and EXT. If you have formatted your Drive using MAC OS, then i think it must have formatted your drive is HSF format. Now you need to delete the HSF partition type and connect the Drive directly to the NAS200 without formatting and then format the drive using NAS200 Utility.

Once you configure all the settings on your NAS200 and configure the drive, then you need to Map the drive on your MAC computer using smb command. 

How to Map a drive in MAC os click Here

Satpal

Thanks for your reply. I solved my problem by connecting to NAS200 through web browser and using the utility you have mentioned.

I have a concerned, data copy process is slow when connected to wireless router. I was wondering if there is any other of connecting drive to my MAC?

Thanks. 

S2Nice

As far as the data copy being slow, I've seen elsewhere that the NAS200 supports write speeds of approximately 8Mb/Sec. I can't certify this number, but it sounds reasonable. I experience very slow write operations with my NSLU2, usually less than 4Mb/Sec, but thankfully I don't have huge write operations very often. If you want to, you could do what I did to speed things up when you want to write a ton of data to your drive....

I found a program that lets windows use the EXT3 file system the NSLU2 uses on the attached hard drives, and any time I have a massive amount of data to write to the drive, I'll just disconnect it from the NSLU2 and hook it directly to my computer. Once the data is copied, I reconnect the USB drive to and then reboot the NSLU2, and viola, my files are there.

I don't have personal experience with the NAS200, but from the looks of things it uses the same basic type of linux/unix operating system that the NSLU2 uses, so I'd venture to say the NAS200 and NSLu2 use the same filesystem, and a similar approach would work fine for you.

Happy Motoring,

13-node home network including:
WRT54GSv7.2, WRT54Gv5, and EZXS88W providing the connections.
Two NSLU2 , one with 320GB and one with 2 1TB drives providing storage for media and machine backups.
An AppleTV, Wii, PSP and Ipod Touch for entertainment. (sorry, WD TVLive, you weren't iTunes freindly)
Vonage VoIP box and two laptops for communication and general surfing and so on.
A mini print server, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jac_goudsmit

S2Nice wrote:

As far as the data copy being slow, I've seen elsewhere that the NAS200 supports write speeds of approximately 8Mb/Sec. I can't certify this number, but it sounds reasonable. I experience very slow write operations with my NSLU2, usually less than 4Mb/Sec, but thankfully I don't have huge write operations very often. If you want to, you could do what I did to speed things up when you want to write a ton of data to your drive....

When using journaled file system, expect no higher than 4MB/sec. Non-journaled is slightly faster, around 6MB/sec on a sunny day. The hardware is just that slow...

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.