TomKirk

NSLU2 copy fails with large files/folders

(sorry my bad english)
Hi, I have just bought a NSLU2, and was happy for it´s possibility working with NTSF files. It was bought with R24, so I upgraded to R63 and formatted an disk in ext3 format, just to be sure that I to have no problems to start with.

My comp. found it, and I tried to copy an 865Mb folder(with many smaller files) into my new storage. After about 300Mb NSLU2 get totaly down and I had to pull the electric wire out for resetting.

Now I have tried: R24, R63, R72, RA5, different HDD (40GB-250GB) with ext3 and/or NTFS, different swits/routers, cables. Of course restarting every times. It say: "Can not copy files. The specified network name no longer exists"
I have looked all over the internet for finding answers what I have to do, but I still haven't found out.

Ex.: In R24,ext3 I can copy up to 800Mb before break down (and electric wire out).
It says that it can't find the
In R72 and RA5, Ext3 or NTFS between 40-300Mb before break down. When I copy from the "NSLU2" to comp. it break down with smaller files/folders.
I run XP SP2 and have closed down all firewalls.

For me it look like the NSLU2 can't handle a large fast datastream!
Can I do something, or have I to return it to my dealer. Help!!(if any can!)
bripab007

Re: NSLU2 copy fails with large files/folders

I run R.73 firmware, a 400GB Seagate drive formatted in EXT3 and Win XP SP2.

Last night I transferred 3 files to the NSLU2 that totalled around 1.1GB, and it had no problem whatsoever.
TomKirk

ok! fantastic- can you send it to me?  I cant find R73 on the internet. tommy.kirkegaard@gmail.com

Then I can tell if it works for me!!!!  :-)
TomKirk

Now I found the solution, the nslu2 become too hot, and then it break down says somthing like "Can not copy files. The specified network name no longer exists"
Linksys support told me that I should try new firmware, byt I had allready tried 5 different firmware.

After that I (before I would return to the dealer) I think it perhaps could help to cool down the NSLU2. I found my hairdryer and blew cool air into the small holes in the cabinet, now all problems stopped. Now I can copy 20Gb files to the NSLU2-store without any problems. I have now tried different firmware (r24,r29,ra5) and HDD (2,5" -40GB, 3,5"-250Gb), and it have still never gone down, only if I remove the hairdryer, then it goes down before 3 minutes every time.

I have a temperature of 23C in my rooms.

It even works with rA5 firmware, and two NTSF formatted disks connected Disk 1 (through a usb-hub) and one ext3 formatted dis connedted Disk 2. Quick and no problems.

Now I ask: is it normal or can it help me to ask my dealer to exchange the NSLU2?
Can anybody send me r73 FW, I wil reply here if I receive it!
Yesin

This might work for you:

NSLU2 is shipped with a small magnet to fit around the ethernet cable. Make sure you attached the magnet around the cable on the end towards the NSLU2.

This solved all my problems.
hamdanny

The common thread I see between everyone having this problem is the format that linksys makes you use at least one drive in. It has been my experience that this version of EXT3 that they have you format the drives in, in combination with their NSLU2 OS can't handle certain operations, such as large file copies. If only they would pay attention to this problem...
2Bill

I had the same problem when copying large files.  The first drive connected to the NSL2U is in a 5 1/2 drive case with a fan.  No problem copying approx 190GB of data many files over 5GB. 

When I tried to copy the same files to the second drive (same USB drive only in the orginally case with no fan) it stopped after about 40GB.  I noticed the USB drive was hot.  I put a fan on the drive (not the NSL2U) and was able to copy the files with no problems.