Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jjtorres2

Re: Nas200 For MAC

I bought this product but I do not think it works with my MAC.  Any suggestions?

foofoouk

My understanding is that it should work with a Mac. The device is separate to your computers operating system, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

What sort of problem are you having jjtorres2?

jac_goudsmit

I have to admit I don't use a Mac but the NAS200 should work just fine with it, once you get it set up. The installation program and the drive mapping software that comes on the included CD-ROM just won't work on your Mac, unless you have the ability to run Windows programs.

The biggest problem is probably that by default, the NAS200 uses DHCP to get a network address. You will have to figure out some way to find out what IP address it's using, to get to the web administration interface. You can do this by inspecting the status of your DHCP server. Alternatively you can use Wireshark on your Mac to see the UPnP (DLNA) broadcast packets. If you have the ability to run Windows programs somehow, you may be able to run the setup program.

Once you find out what the IP address of the NAS200 is, you can log in to the web administration pages using the default password "admin", create shares and do everything else you can do with a NAS. To get to your files, you will have to tell your Mac to browse for Windows (SMB / Samba) file shares, or you can use an FTP client.

You may want to change the NAS network settings so it uses a static IP address that's not part of the address range that your DHCP server uses, so you will always be able to find the NAS at the same address. For example if your DHCP server is set to use 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.149 you can set the NAS200 to use 192.168.1.10.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
foofoouk

I thought the NAS200 tended to use the address: 192.168.1.77 as the default?

One option is to plug the NAS directly into your PC (i.e. without using a a hub or router). From there, you should be able to set a static IP address prior to connecting it to your hub/router.

dalpert

I find Linksys/Cisco support for the Mac pretty shabby. And on this product as a whole, almost non existant. There are pages with FAQs that have questions but no answers, broken links and 'error on page' all over the place.

Shame on them for giving up on those of us who put money into the NAS200.

mtb026

Re: Nas200 missing cd

I realise this is an old thread, but the links no longer work and I am after the installation file.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

i004122

All previous links are not valid.

Who knows where the content of CD for NAS200 could be found?

ScarletJamie

i004122 wrote:

All previous links are not valid.

Who knows where the content of CD for NAS200 could be found?

Hi i004122,

Here it is http://download.cnet.com/Linksys-NAS200/3000-2110_4-171014.html. I hope this helps.

AndreiN

there no CD by this link

foofoouk wrote:

You can get the latest firmware, set up wizard and user/install guides from here: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/NAS200/download

I'm guessing that is all that is on the CD?

there no startup CD by this link

AndreiN

file not found