mtc
mtc
Accepted Solution

Network Storage Link

Not sure where to post this - I have a Network Storage Link NSLU2 that was working perfectly for 2 years - then this week I am unable to access the drive attached to this device.  I can browse the disk via the web interface but that is going to take a Looooooonnnnggggg time to open and then save a file else where.  How do I reestablish a connection via Network places WITHOUT loosing teh data?

Thanks in advance.

-MTC-

Mared1784

Re: Network Storage Link

Hi!

Before we provide any solution let's diagnose your problem first.

1. What happened before this problem occured?

2. Can you still access the Administration Page of your NSLU2 and configure it?

3. What happens if you map the drives? Do you have any error messages? Were you prompted for a username and password?

mtc
mtc

yes I can access the admin page and can see all the files an can open one at a time - but I cannot navigate to the drive via windows explorer or my computer - nor can I map the drive.

This was working fine one day and the next lost it... as far as I can tell nothing changed on the system.

the only error is when I try and map the drive and I get "an extended error has occured"

thanks

Mared1784

On the Administration Page of your NSLU2, be sure that the "Enable Guest Login" is unchecked. Then follow the instructions on this microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262916/en-us

Let us know the progress.

mtc
mtc

Guest login is unchecked and correct service (as per KB262916) is running - any other advice? Thanks

Mared1784

Have you tried upgrading the firmware of your NSLU2? When you go to the Admin page and clicked on the Disk subtab, do you see EXT3, NTFS or FAT/32 on the Disk Status?

By the way, in upgrading the firmware of your NSLU2 be sure that you used the Erase All Utility in doing so and be sure the Hard Drives are unplug from the device.

mtc
mtc

where do I look? - I see no such tab - unter administration there is :

Lan | System | Users | Status | Advanced

under these only status has anything remotely like disk info and it just says

Disk 1: Type: ST350064 1NS Free Space: 916744 MBytes (99 %)

also - I tried to find the download for the firmware update and could not - do you have a link?

thanks

Mared1784

You have to click on Advance first before you'll be able to see the Disk subtab. Here's the link for the firmware, the erase all utility is already compressed on this file so just extract it.

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/NSLU2_V23R63,1.zip

mtc
mtc

THANKYOU!!!!

My data is back!!!!

mrsvjb

In an attempt to connect a 2nd drive, I somehow lost the connection to my first drive.  I have disconnected the drive, rebooted the pc, tried remapping the drive but I get a message that the drive is no longer available.   I tried to run the set up process and the NSLU2 doesn't even see the drive, but I show it connected to and I have an ethernet connection also...  Any suggestions?