Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nzdreamer55
Accepted Solution

Question about NAS200 and moving large amount of data to it.

Hello everyone,

I have a Linksys NAS 200 on my home LAN.  This is connected through a wireless router WRT300N 1.1.  I have my computer hooked to the router via a cable (not wireless).  I am running windows XP Media center SP3 on a duel core processor HP machine.

My problem is that I am trying to move a lot of media from a drive on my computer to a drive on the NAS 200.  There is about 1.3TB of info and when I try to copy it through the windows explorer it takes forever and consumes a lot of CPU time from my computer.

Other than copying small amounts of this data over time like 3-5gb each night are there any other options?  Maybe a program that works like a download manager for a web browser?  I'm not too good with FTP solutions, but maybe this would work but I would not know how to set it up.  Could it be something with how I have set my router up?  I use my router as my firewall and my computer does not have a firewall.  It has spyware doctor and Ad-Aware for protection running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

jac_goudsmit

Re: Question about NAS200 and moving large amount of data to it.

[ Edited ]

I use PC Backup Pro in copy mode to transfer large amounts of data. It's not free, though.

As a free solution you may want to try Robocopy (and one of the available GUIs to help you dig out from the avalanche of command line options) or the Microsoft Sync Toy (both free from Microsoft, just google for them).

All of this doesn't make your transfer faster, but makes it less of a headache especially because the NAS200 has a tendency of disconnecting you when Samba eats up too much memory: all these programs will (or can) keep retrying when a network error occurs so you don't have to restart the copy operation.

An alternative (especially if you're only planning on doing this once) is to turn the NAS off by using the power button, remove the drive(s) and connect it/them to the PC directly through SATA, eSATA or USB, and use SystemRescueCD to access the disks directly. This will give you a much higher access speed (especially with SATA or eSATA), the only problem is that you have to use Linux commands such as cp or rsync to copy your data.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
nzdreamer55

Thanks so much.  I'll give those options a try.  I don't think that I'll dive into the Linux world for just this.  Again thanks for the help

Steve

nzdreamer55

One thing that I forgot to ask.  Do any of these programs allow you to stop the copy process in the middle or change the amount of data rate so that the computer isn't using a lot of CPU energy?

Thanks

Steve

jac_goudsmit

Robocopy has an option to limit network bandwidth, this will also limit CPU usage (both on your Windows machine and on the NAS).

For the other ones, try googling for "windows copy limit bandwidth" or "windows copy limit cpu" (without the quotes)...

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
nzdreamer55

Thanks again for the help

Steve