SierraDave

Router can't see NAS200--A SOLUTION

THE PROBLEM WAS: I moved to a new home office and put together a new network with a new router.  When I plugged in the NAS200, the router couldn't find it.  I tested the cable connection (by plugging a laptop into it) and knew that was OK. 

I contacted Linksys tech support who had me do basic things like reset the NAS and turn it on/off.  I asked if there were any router settings that might impact this and was told it wouldn't make any difference.  The upshot, at the end of a Tier 2 technician phone call (which at least I wasn't charged for) was "The unit must be defective; since we can't reach it thru the network, then there's nothing you can do except pull the drives out and see if you can plug them into a PC to get the files from them."

UGH.  I thought a bit and decided to try something.  I knew what the IP address of the NAS was on my old network, and it was conceivable to me that I might have made that IP static so it would never conflict with other devices that might be connected/disconnected over time.  I went into the router IP settings and assigned that old address to the NAS200 using its MAC address.  THAT WORKED and I am up and running.

SO if you have a problem like this, DO check your router settings!  And if you set a static IP on your NAS (or any device for that matter) I recommend putting a label on it with that address to remind you.  I have that label on my NAS, and it obviously saved the day.

ZERO POINTS go to LInksys support on this one.  Sorry folks; a couple of questions to me would have brought up this possible solution.  I'm very glad I don't have to trash this little box.

WHILE I'M AT IT:  I'm amazed that Linksys does not have the original Setup Wizard available for download.  I understand them not updating it, but why delete it?  There are a bunch of Forum postings from people who lost their install CD; this is really dumb and the worst of what Planned Obsolescence can be.

jac_goudsmit

Re: Router can't see NAS200--A SOLUTION

They should have told you to hold the reset button until you hear TWO beeps (about 30 seconds I think), that resets the network settings to their defaults (i.e. DHCP client). Evidently they didn't know what they were talking about if they told you to connect the disks to a PC to get the data off; this is only possible if you run Linux on that PC...

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
SierraDave

[ Edited ]

Jac:  thanks for writing back.  The tech did have me hold the RESET button until the two beeps.  Although the manual says that will force it into DHCP, it does not appear to do so and didn't work in this case.

Her only other suggestion for getting the files off the drive was to remove the hard drives from the NAS and use some other adapter to plug them into the PC.  UGH.

dolsson

BTW, Cisco does have the setup wizard available for download:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/NAS200/download

I have needed it repeatedly, as everytime the NAS200 is taken off line the PCs on the network cannot find it again.  I am currently dealing with that situation once again...  Unfortunately, even re-running setup is not doing the trick this time.

dshipp

I have pushed the reset button until I hear the beeps, done the same thing and waited to hear more beeps, I don't . Does not reset the unit to make it seen by the set up wizard software.  my old net work had a different DHCP identity. Nothing I have tried resets the unit. pushing reset , beeps ,. shut off, turn on reset again, and many other attempts. I have the original set up diosk but it does not see the NAS.  can't access by web using the known ip address it use to use.  Has any one had any success? Would it be worth setting a different  network router to the old DHCP address?

dshipp

Resetting the NAS with the reset button did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING,  and I tried many times over the course of about six months.  Having read the first post here, I recently started resetting my router, trying to remember what I might have used for a Domain name and/ or a work group name and also what the default gate way might have been when I originally set this up. Once I figured that out and set the allowed IP address'  , ONLY  then was I able to access this NAS.   I immediately went to the administration pages and set DNS to Automatic.   By the way, I also had the original disk with the "set up utility and the setup wizard  and all the  other supposed bells and whistles. This helped IN NO way.  I am  Glad to have use of these drives again, but this has made me real wary.  I doubt I will ever buy one of these for a customer. ds

jaymay

[ Edited ]

Your router may be on a different IP range from the NAS200. Since resetting the router worked out for you then it might have been a some kind of a setting or a configuration that was holding you back. The NAS200 is dependent on the gateway which is your router. Did you try to check the DHCP client's list after resetting your router? Since the NAS200 by default is set to obtain/automatic then the IP address of the NAS200 should be listed there.

PJAG

I have a similar issue with a NAS 200 that has worked well so far, but is now not visible/accessible from me my PC since I installed a second disk in the NAS and set the configuration mode to "mirroring" (i.e. RAID 1).

However the NAS remains recognized by the router as well as accessible via the Internet Explorer, but not from Windows Explorer neither by my backup software !

Any idea/solution about why ?

Thank you very much in advance

Jake_2.0

Try to map the network drive.

PJAG

Works great  ! Thank you very much :smileyhappy: