Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
marioliveira
Accepted Solution

Seeing photos remotely on NSLU2

I have NSLU2 and configured through dynamic dns service so anyone can see the photos in one of my discs from any pc, by accessing that disc via browser. The thing is, photos are shown by name, as files, and on the browser we must click on each individually to see the respective photo. Now the question: is there a way of being able to see the photos as if you were on the internal network, i.e. showing them for exam ple as miniatures inside a folder, explorer-like? For example, is there some kind of application that can be installed on the disk allowing a remote user to see them as a group of pictures (not one by one)?
quack

Re: Seeing photos remotely on NSLU2

Try to change the view settings on your browser.
marioliveira

I've searched possibilities in IE7 and Firefox, and can't figure out a way of doing it. Can you be more specific, pelase?

kevj

Without setting up a VPN to make the remote computer think it is on the same LAN segment, so you can use Windows Explorer, I doubt if this is possible using stock Linksys firmware. The page you are seeing in the browser is servered by the http daemon running on the NSLU2. You would have to install some of the available 3rd party firmware for the NSLU2 (not supported by Linksys), run your own http daemon, and either design your own web page, or possibly look at packgaes to install that might provide that type of view once you are up and running on the 3rd party firmware....
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
marioliveira

At last I found a way! I'm replying so that someone looking for a solution to this kind of problem can be helped.

In Windows, from any remote computer: open a new folder, on the address bar (if it is not visible you can fix that with the menu options), write down ftp://name.server.ext replacing by your own parameters (I have a dynamic dns server -dyndns- because in this case mny IP is variable); you're prompted for a username and a password, so before that you are expected to define a share for that purpose) and that's it, you can see the photos as if you were in the LAN.

In Mac, start 'Finder', then on the address bar write ftp://username:smileytongue:asswword@name.server.ext and you're in the same way (you can also use this syntax on the windows new folder address bar).

marioliveira

Sorry, for some reason the syntax had a smilie, it is:

username : password@name.server.ext (no spaces between username and password, just a colon)