linkmaster
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 and NSLU2

I know it's currently not a supported OS for the NSLU2 , my question is , is there an upgrade to the firmware being done to let make it Win7? compatible?

jac_goudsmit

Re: Windows 7 and NSLU2

As far as I know, no firmware upgrade should be needed. Windows 7 should be able to access the network shares the same way as previous versions of Windows did.

If you get a notification from Vista or Windows 7 saying it needs a driver on the PC, you can ignore it. There is no driver for the NSLU2 (nor for most other NASes) and there probably won't ever be one either.

===Jac

--------

Frequent NAS200 Answers:
1. DISABLE the "convert failed logins to guest logins" option to fix permission problems.
2. NEVER insert or remove hard disks while the power is on. NAS200 doesn't support hot swapping.
3. ALWAYS use the power button to turn the NAS200 off, don't just unplug it.
4. Don't trust RAID. Make BACKUPS!
5. To ACCESS the disks directly, you will need ext2 and/or XFS file systems. I recommend using SystemRescueCD.
6. Disks will get HOT with standard fan, use "green" disks or consider replacing the fan.
7. FTP server is insecure and doesn't work behind a NAT router. Use my firmware and SCP instead.
8. MY FIRMWARE supports SSH shell prompt and SCP for secure file access, and allows running other software.
brickmonkey

I agree with  jac_goudsmit. If you are trying to run the setup disk on your windows 7 computer it will not work. You can manually Map the Drivers on your Windows 7 Computer. 

On your Windows 7 Computer click on Start - RUN - type (\\IP address of NSLU2) and click OK.... and it should display you the list of Folder which you have created on NSLU2, Right click on it and select "Map Network Drive" and click on Finish. 

In these case you will be able to transfer the files from your Windows 7 computer to NSLU2.

linkmaster

My problem with Windows 7 and NSLU was mainly that I am (was)  unable to log onto the private shares for each user , the login was correct but Windows 7 kept returning 'invalid login'.

I finally got around this by instead of trying to map \\HOMESTORE\user  , I mapped \\192.168.1.77\user

This let me log in correctly to the share.

PairONoid

OK so I just blew the dust of my NSLU2 and decided to hook it up. I had the same problem connecting with my Windows 7 Enterprise (Work computer). The problem as described is NTLM. By default, Windows 7 has NTLM disabled and for good reason. NTLM security is an oxymoron. Don't open your Windows 7 to this vulnerability. I'll still use the device, but will only access the data I store on it with an old system that I can rebuild easily in the event of an infection.

"Friends don't let friends use LANMAN" SANS Security Essentials