mdgardipee

Connecting a DirecTV DVR to a wireless ready TV

I have a DirecTV DVR that is currently hard wired to the TV. I want to move the TV to a spot where there is no connection, so I'd have to run a coax cable on the floor and then up the wall. My TV does not have built in WiFi so I am looking at possibly buying a new TV that has built in WiFI if I need to. The question is how would I configure the hardware to support this? Do I need a TV with built in WiFi, and if not, how is that handled?

Would I only need a Bridge - like a WET610N or a WES610N - and connect the DVR to that and have it stream the audio/video to the TV? I suppose if I buy an internet ready TV, maybe I'd actually want internet access on it, in which case I'd go with a Linksys E Series Wireless Router along with the Bridge per the Cisco recommendation.

So, that's what I am trying to accomplish. Can anyone provide some guidance as to whether this approach with the Cisco hardware (Bridge) cited would achieve my goal? I want the DirecTV hardware in place, and the TV in another place with no wires connected to it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

castor

Re: Connecting a DirecTV DVR to a wireless ready TV

Let me know the current model number of the router? Well here can be two scenarios:

1] If you want to make use of the existing DVR then Bridge (WET610N, WES610N) will be helpful. In that case Bridge will be connected with the DVR and DVR will be connected with the TV. The Linksys Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Bridges (WET610N, WES610N) allow wired Ethernet-based devices to connect and access the Internet wirelessly. Here is the link for configuring a Linksys Wireless-N Bridge:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&vw=1&articleid=22467

2] If you buy an internet ready TV then nothing is required. As that will fulfill your requirement.

mdgardipee

Thanks for the reply. So that I understand you, if I buy an Internet ready TV then I'd need to connect my DirecTV DVR to a Bridge so that it can wirelessly stream audio/video to the TV. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Mike

mdgardipee

Additionally, I cannot get to the link you provided. I am denied access to the resource.

Mike

castor

If you purchase Internet ready TV then, DirecTV DVR connected to a Bridge is not required. But if in case you use the existing TV then DirecTV DVR connected to a Bridge is required. The connectivity will be:

Bridge will be connected with the DVR and DVR will be connected with the TV via ethernet cable.

Here is the link for configuring a Linksys Wireless-N Bridge:http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=22467

bohochic323

[ Edited ]

wow.  Thank God I found this forum. I was going to ask the same thing as well. :smileyhappy: thanks castor

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."