Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
aaron

Power over Ethernet adapter question

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me with this question.

I have a Cisco Aironet 350 series Workgroup bridge in a remote location and right now I'm running an electrical extenstion cord from my UPS unit to supply power to the bridge. I would like to consolidate cables and use a Linksys Power over Ethernet adapter (WAPPOE12) to supply power instead. Sounds simple enough from reading the product description, but my bridge uses a 5-volt power adapter whereas the Linksys POE unit says it uses 12 volts.

My question is: Is it possible to use the 5-volt power adapter that came with the bridge to send power over the POE adapter, or do I have to use the 12-volt power adapter that came with the POE kit?

And, if I have to use the kit's power adapter, will it automatically adjust for 5-volts?

Thank you,

Aaron
SPAWN_06

Re: Power over Ethernet adapter question

The kit has to use it's own adapter... since your cisco switch requires 5volts it would not work with the device as it will still be 12 volts for it's output. It would not change automatically. It only works on a few AP's/Routers that use 12 volt inputs only like my BEFW11S4 v4. Your bridge would be smokin if you try that.. :smileywink:
"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"

Re: Power over Ethernet adapter question

You may get the 1st version WAPPOE, that provides 5V power.  I'm not sure about the wattage though.  If there isn't much of a diff, then that shouldn't hurt.