mapderf
Accepted Solution

WET610N connection problems

I recently upgraded my internet service with brighthouse.  They installed a new gateway/router which is a motorola surfboard SBG6580 wi-fi cable modem gateway.  Previously I used a linksys WRT54G router.  I have had and used with my Bravia TV the WET610N bridge and it worked to stream movies and internet content to the tv.  Since the install of the new router, the WET610N is on the network, but the client cannot access the internet.  I have been reading about static IP address for the Bridge which I am not sure how to set in the motorola router and also the need to delete the client from the DHCP client list which I have done.  The WET610N is on the network, assigns an IP address for the TV, and shows up in the routers client list.  Sometimes I walk in and can access internet content after sitting idle for more than 24 hours, but generally the network check on the tv shows that internet access failed.  Although the WET is 30 feet from the router, the signal strength is only about 40%.  I have left the unit on the 2.4Hz band and the 802.11n-mode to auto and the 20Mhz bandwidth.  So no internet connection according to BRAVIA except that I can access widgets which requires internet, but no other internet content.  Thanks

ScarletJamie

Re: WET610N connection problems

I suggest  mapderf  to reset and reconfigure your device. You can follow the articles below. :womanwink:

* Configuring the basic wireless settings of the WET610N using manual setup

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=0c82c5881bff42558622a7f12fe48736_17600.xml&pid=80&...

* Setting the network connection type of the Linksys WET610N to Static IP

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=693d59ffe3b2403d91a60bb694ac49e0_17604.xml&pid=80&...

mapderf

Thank you for your quick response.  I followed your suggestion somewhat in that I reset the WET610N to factory settings using the reset button.  Then I followed the cicso instructions for connecting the bridge to a Bravia TV.  Everything went well with the bridge setting its own static IP at 192.168.0.250.  Now for the sad news for me,

1.  The tv is part of the network and can be seem by computers and the router.

2.  The tv can access my computer which is set up a dlna server and load media of all sorts.

3.  The tv can access the weather widgets which I setup on the tv and which require access to the internet

4.  The tv runs a network analysis and everything is fine except that internet access fails.

5.  I can ping both the bridge and the tv from the router

6.  I can do a traceroute from the router the the tv, didn't try the bridge

After I did the above turned all the equipment, meaning my computer and the tv off.  All other items on the network were either on or on standby.  Got up this morning around 0615 and decided to check the network status on the tv.  Well to my surprise the internet connection was OK!  I could stream movies, download internet content etc,  Left the house and returned just afternoon and no internet connection .  We did have a short electrical outage while I was gone.  I tried most of the above ping etc and everything is ok except just can't get access to the internet to stream movies etc.  Can still load my widgets, access the media on my computer.  Went to the router and turned the firewall off.  No change to the status.

What now coach??

Mort

To get the good result from the WET610Nyou have to optimize the wireless settings in the router as well. Try to do the following setting in the router:

# Open up the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 that will open up the Gateway setup page.

# Make the Channel Width to 20MHz only and select the Channel to 1, 3, 6, 9, 11..

#Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:

~~ Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 75

~~ Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306

~~ Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307

Then check the connectivity status.

mapderf

did as you suggested, selected channel 6 as opposed to auto which was channel 1, all other settings as you directed.  Get the yahoo weather widgets but no internet connectivity.  Bridge shows we are connected.  Everything else is fine, just not ability to access internet content like crackel, you tube, netflix.  Any other ideas??

mapderf

Just a quick update as the saga continues.  Got up this morning and had internet connection on the tv thru the bridge.  Started a movie on Crackle and it played for about 10 minutes and then disconnected.  Restarted the movie and had streaming for a while.  Left to do some work on the boat and when I returned the internet was no longer available on the tv.  Decided to run a long cat5 cable to the other room and have hooked my laptop up to the bridge and can access the internet but only to download stuff.  Times out using outlook express to try and check email.  Ran brighthouse's speed test and get 40+ down stream but cannot do the upload test.  I know that I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but somehow believe that there is a very simple one switch/setting to get the bridge to be able to communicate both ways. Don't get the ability to download thru the bridge but not upload.  And of course it could be the motorola  surfboard sbg 6580.

Mort

With reference to the concern you can try to upgrade the firmware of the WET610N. Let me know the current firmware version in the WET610N? If the firmware in the WET610N is an older version then upgrade it with the latest one which can be downloaded from the Linksys/Cisco website. After successful firmware upgrade you need to reset the WET610N. It is recommended to reset the WET610N once. Steps to reset the WET610N:

Push the reset button on WET610N for 30 seconds, turn off the WET610N wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

After reset, reconfigure the WET610N and then check the connectivity status..

mapderf

the firmware was the 1.0.03 build 351.  Didn't see anything in the notes that would have indicated a need to update firmware.  I did however take that step yesterday and had immediate access to the internet on the Bravia.  Thanks for the suggestion.  believe we are good to go.

ScarletJamie

mapderf wrote:

the firmware was the 1.0.03 build 351.  Didn't see anything in the notes that would have indicated a need to update firmware.  I did however take that step yesterday and had immediate access to the internet on the Bravia.  Thanks for the suggestion.  believe we are good to go.

Glad to hear it did resolve the issue with firmware upgrade. :womanvery-happy:

dwaynet19

I just dont get how to get the WET610N to work with my directv receiver, let alone any hard wire connect.

And what is weird is that I can see it having access in my router (motorola surfboard 6850) wireless router.

I have tried numerous ways to try and get this to work but nothing seems to do the trick. But what I cannot understand is how I can read/see the WET610 on the router settings, yet I cannot connect hard wire to anything? I am not sure the wireless is putting out a signal.

Please help. Very frustrating!