warners
Accepted Solution

EFSP42 with WinXP and Vista

I tried to install a brother HL 1450 printer on port 1 of EFSP42.

Test page printed OK but I just cannot see the printer from add printer from winXP.
Is there a different driver for winXP (I see the supplied driver is for 98 & NT).

Does that mean it will not work for Vistal?

Is it different when installing EFSP42 in a workgroup compared to installing it within a domain?

Thanks

Ed

Carrot

Re: EFSP42 with WinXP and Vista

Hi… you need to install the printer drivers for Win.XP and Vista.

typeguy

Actually Linksys doesn't seem to provide Vista software or drivers for the printer server. You need to use LPR protocol instead of RAW in the port configuration. I will provide instructions on creating the ports from scratch (while adding a printer).

These instructions presume you have already downloaded and prepared for use the drivers for the printers connected. I am also presuming that you are using Windows Vista Home (I'm using Home Basic personally).

1. Open Control Panel>Printers
2. Click the 'Add a Printer' link
3. Select the 'Add a local printer'
4. On the next screen select 'Create a new port'
5. Select 'Standard TCP/IP Port' for the type of port to create.
6. On the next screen use the following settings: DEVICE TYPE=TCP/IP Device; HOSTNAME OR IP ADDRESS=[the ip address of your print server]; PORT NAME= (i.e., IP_[server ip address]
7. In the 'Additional Port Information Required' screen select 'Generic Network Card', then click
8. Select the printer driver for the printer connected to the port
9. After the printer is installed (do NOT send a test page yet)
10. open the properties of the printer you've just installed and select the 'Ports' tab
11. Select the port and click
12. Change the protocol from RAW to LPR, the field labeled 'Queue Name' will become editable.
13. to access the first printer port enter 'L1' (without the quotes)
14. to access the second printer port enter 'L2' (without the quotes)
15. click then go to the 'General' tab and print a test page

You can repeat the procedure to create both L1 and L2 ports. Just remember to change the PORT NAME option in step 6 so that you can have two separate ports available.

I hope this helps you get both ports working. This worked for me with Windows Vista Home Basic.

good luck,
hf2
dfilias

Solved my problem... almost two years later! Kudos!