bionic_surfer

How to connect to Linksys Wireless Print Server (WPS54GU2) from WIndows 7

[ Edited ]

I tried the Print Server Utility that was loaded from the WPS54GU2 user install disk. Ended up with an AddPort error.

Went ahead and created local printer for printer I was trying to get to (Epson Color Stylus 400). Did a "Printer Properties" on the printer after it is was created and clicked on the "Port" tab. Clicked on the "Add Port" button and selected "Standard TCP/IP Port" from list. Clicked on "New Port" . Wizard came up and clicked "Next" on this screen. I typed in the IP address of my Print Server (with no Port Name) and let it search for a while and it eventually failed. A screen came up requesting "additional port information" so I clicked on the "Custom" button and then clicked on the"Settings" button. Here I typed in the correct port name (which in my case was like LKxxxxxx where the x's are numerics). The IP address is already filed in. I checked the LPR button and made up a Queue Name and typed it into the Queue Name text box.

After clicking OK I tried printing to the printer and everything seemed to work correctly.

Message Edited by bionic_surfer on 11-14-2009 10:21 AM
Message Edited by bionic_surfer on 11-14-2009 10:21 AM
Corleone

Re: How to connect to Linksys Wireless Print Server (WPS54GU2) from WIndows 7

That's the right steps you did on your computer and now you are able to print from your computer successfully. :smileyhappy: As the Print Server software is not compatible with Windows 7 so we need to add the print server port on the computer manually and it works perfectly fine.
bhorey

I followed along with your instructions, but I didn't know what my port name was.  How do I find that?
okilou

Thanks for the guidance but I guess I may have to go back to square one. I renamed the port on the router from the generic LKxxxxxx to Linksys PrintServer and I have not been able to communicate with the printer. I know the printer works because I was able to print from my XP laptop and from the Print Server web page. I wonder how long it will be until Cisco gets an update out for W7? I'll let you know IF I ever get it running...

Lou

Kevin Cheng

Check the thread, "TCP/IP Printing on WPS54G" on the top of "Wireless Print Servers".

davidmp

[ Edited ]

I did all this but I am not getting anything from my new Toshiba Notebook with Windows 7!! My XP notebook is working fine though. I am at a loss here.  Have this:

Printer: HP Deskjet 990c (Did USB direct connection first. Win7 Saw and Installed Driver and Printed fine) 

Port Name: LK976996  Default Port Name I Believe. 

IP Address: Static IP 192.168.1.78 

LPR is Checked

Queue Name: LP1

Checked and Unchecked LPR Byte Count Enabled with no luck either way

SNMP Status not checked

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Message Edited by davidmp on 12-02-2009 05:40 PM
Message Edited by davidmp on 12-02-2009 05:41 PM
Kevin Cheng

Devie has two ports, one is Parallel port, the other is USB port.

So it might be the "Queue Name" you set is wrong, you can try to

set "Queue Name" is L1 or L2 to see if any difference.

Shevman

Corleone

I have the same issue as I have a new Windows 7 machine that is hardwired to my Linksys WPS54G.  This is my main office PC and I have other computers throughout the house that are connected wirelessly to the WPS54G.  I've tried to create a new port for printing based on the posts from other users but it still won't work.  I've run the Linksys configuration and my PC sees the printer server.  Am I missing a step?

Here is what I've done

Go to ports

Add new port

Standard TCP/IP Port 

Click new port (Wizard comes up)

Enter printer name and IP address ( I enter my IP address for the Print Server 192.168.1.x)- Port name is same as IP Address (does this matter?)

Go to custom settings and set for LPR with Queue name of LP1 (or should it be L1?)

LPR Byte count box checked 

Click next and finish

Do I need to restart my computer?

What am I missing

Thank you

Kevin Cheng

First check your printer driver is correct for Win 7 or not.

Another one is maybe WPS54G has compatible problem with your printer.

Shevman

Print drive is for Win 7.  When I have a USB connection to the printer it prints fine.  Issue is that my system is connected by ethernet to my router and then from my router to the WPS45G and then USB to the HP Printer (6210).  Looking for a workaround via TCP/IP printing as I did with my Vista system from home.