Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wdboer

Install PSUS4 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Hi

Here is how it worked for me:

1. Forget the CD that comes with the product, you don't need it.
  2. Hook up the PSUS4 to network cable, printer, and power it all up.
  3. Now you need to connect to the PSUS4 in order to configure it, and we do that using Internet Explorer (or whatever browser you use). 
  4. In order to connect to it, you need to find out the network IP address of the PSUS4 (since you will type that address in the Internet browser address). How do we find out the IP address of the PSUS4?
  5. The PSUS4 has been factory configured to do DHCP, meaning it will request an IP address (to a router) in your network.
  6. How do you find out what address was given to it? You need to access your network router first.
  7. In order to access your router, you need the IP address of your router. Look it up in the documentation that comes with your router. You dont have the docs at hand? Good guess: it could very well be: > 192.168.1.1 < Type whats between the brackets in the address line of your IE and there you go.
  8. Now your router may have access prohibited with username and password. Thats not so easy, google the router, like: "netgear password router" and you will probably find the default password there. Replace Netgear with the router make that you have.
  9. Once inside the router menu, locate "Attached devices" or similar, and find the addresses that the router has provided to devices on your network. You should find your own PC to start with, and other network devices that you may have, and of course, the PSUS4 should be listed. WIthout a network name by the way, you have to guess which one will be the PSUS4.
  10. Now you close the browser session to the router, and you will access the PSUS4 by typing its IP address in the Internet Explorer browser address line.
  11. Change the network settings of the PSUS4 (tab "protocol", select "tcpip") and highlight "Use the following IP address" Type the IP address that you already used to access the PSUS4. Why change it to fixed? We want a fixed IP address for the PSUS4, and not one that will be different after some time (the router may provide a new IP address after some time!!!). Subnet mask must be 255.255.255.0 and gateway must be the IP address of your router (that is the address you used to access the router with Internet Explorer when we started the quest, in my case 192.168.1.1).
  12. Remove "NetBEUI" and "Apple Talk" if you do not use these protocols
  13. DO NOT forget to hit "save" at the bottom of your screen...
  14. Tab "printer": leave all to printer port USB1. Now EXIT the PSUS4.
  15. Get back to Windows 7 and get into the Computer Configuration screen where you select configuring printers
  16. Select "Add a new printer"
  17. Choose "network printer", then dont wait but select "printer is not in the list"
  18. Add printer using TCP/IP address
  19. Type: select "TCP/IP"; next type the PSUS4 IP address and let the port-name be LP1
  20. Make sure that the protocol is "LPR" and queue name is LP1, and activate "LPR bytecount"
  21. Leave SNMP unactivated

That should do the job. Good luck, hope I have not made any typeo's or mistakes...

This worked for my PC and for the wireless netbook that my wife uses.

vai_fan

Re: Install PSUS4 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Great way to make your Printserver working with Windows7...Enjoy:smileyhappy:
radiodale

Thank you very much!!! I spent many hours trying to get the PSUS4 working on Windows 7 and even chatted with tech support. Linksys tech support stated that they were still working on a fix for Windows 7 which would be stable. I told him that mine worked fine until a few weeks ago. He said, "That's nice." I then asked how I wouild know when the fix was available. Answer was to keep returning to the Linksys site.

After all this I printed your instrucions and had the printer working in 10 minutes!

Dale

Joffertje

It's working here!

Thanx!

budgoth

Brilliant,

I do not want to tell you how much time I wasted attempting to get to work before googling for help and finding your post!

Thanks!

rmontrose

[ Edited ]

Between steps 19 and 20 when you click Next it will say it cannot identify the Printer and ask you to select from a list of Network Print Adapters. You need to select "Custom" and then the information on Step 20 will make sense.

Thank-you very much for putting this together - I thought I wouldn't be able to use the PSUS4 in the Windows 7 64 bit world!

jaymay

Good thing the steps provided worked for you all. Hopefully this is considered as a workaround for this issue with getting PSUS4 working with windows 7 64bit.

rcdscc

Hi!

Is there any other way to obtain the IP address of the print server? I've tried using the generic 192.168.1.1, as well as holding in the reset button hoping for a printout of the config page. Nothing.

How else can I find the IP for this brand new, unconfigured, PSUS4?

Thanks in advance!

ScarletJamie

rcdscc wrote:

Hi!

Is there any other way to obtain the IP address of the print server? I've tried using the generic 192.168.1.1, as well as holding in the reset button hoping for a printout of the config page. Nothing.

How else can I find the IP for this brand new, unconfigured, PSUS4?

Thanks in advance!

Just press the reset button for 30 seconds that should reset to factory settings. You can check as well the IP address of the device using DHCP client table. You may refer to this link for reference http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=70ecb8dfd38e43308e615fbc0c30672b_17346.xml&pid=80&....

Title: Using the PSUS4 Bi-Admin Utility Article ID: 4560

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=2a8b0decc3364bcc8f9d29f569820ab3_4560.xml&pid=80&r...

rwakelin

I have an old PSUS4 and a Samsung ML-2010R.  Both work perfectly so my issues are mostly with getting them to work each time I step up to the next Microsoft OS.  The post by wdboer helped me get my Windows 7 32-bit PC connected to my printer over the LAN and via the PSUS4 so many thanks to wdboer.

I upgraded to a 64-bit PC with Windows 8 and followed the same instructions and used the Universal Printer Driver downloaded from Samsung but all I got was the printer to 'wake up' but it printed nothing (a direct USB cable connection worked fine).  I finally got the printer to work by;

1. Windows 8 Control Panel

2. Device and Printers

3. Right click on the newly installed printer

4. Click on the Device Options tab

5. Selecting the Printer Model drop down and selecting Samsung ML-2010 Series followed by Apply

When I went back to the General Tab and clicked on Print Test Page, the printer woke up and printed the test page

Cheers, R