DarrenAbels

Installation of WPS54G Print Server for Windows 7

Hello

I am trying to setup my Linksys WPS54G wireless print server with my HP Deskjet F2430 printer, copier, and fax printer.  Here are the steps I took.  I first setup the printer on my Windows 7 machine and I was able to print a test page.  I then used the Linksys CD to setup with wireless print server.  Now I am trying to setup the printer server software on my Windows 7 machine but the CD is not compatible with Windows 7.  I did some searches online and I have used the Linksys live chat but to be honest, the live chat was not very helpful.  They told me to visit this site, but it does not even exist.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WPSM54G/download

I also searched Google and found these sites but neither of them helped me.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Print-Servers/TCP-IP-Printing-on-WPS54G/td-p/722

http://www.ehow.com/how_5396340_set-vista-vista-windows-linux.html

This is the very first time I have tried to setup a printer server so maybe my experience is the issue.  Basically, is there an easy install process such as the install CD would have provided to allow me to connect to the print server and then print to my HP printer?  Do I need to download specific drivers?  I know the machine has the HP drivers because if I hook the printer up directly (skipping the print server) it does print.  Also, for my wireless rooter, I see a wireless icon in my system try (lower right hand corner), should I see this for the wireless print server so I know I have a connection?  I am lost and looking for any help.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ricewind

Re: Installation of WPS54G Print Server for Windows 7

If you are unable to configure your WPS using the setup disk you can exit from the setup and configure all the settings on your WPS manually.

Connect the Expander your Router Router using and Ethernet Cable, login to the setup page of your Router and under the DHCP Client table list you will find the WPS IP address, Using that IP address you can login to the Web interface of the Print Server... Once login to the setup page of the PS then you need to input all the Wireless Settings on the PS (SSID, Security Mode and Security Key), once done with this settings then set the Static IP on the Print Server...Once done with this settings then unplug the Power from the PS and unplug the Ethernet cable... and then replug the power to the PS and then check the light status on the PS.

If all the lights are solid on the PS (Power, Wireless, USB) that means that the PS is configured properly... Now you need to add the PS ports on your computer...

Follow this link how to add the PS ports on your computer.

Cat-State

The forner replay is probably the best explantion of installing the WPS, but it is not quite complete.  Here is my complete solution.

Contrary to most of the on-line advice that I have found, the Linksys wireless print server WPS54G is compatible with Windows 7.  It is the installation program that is not compatible.  While not as bad as the early days of setting hardware dip switches, the print server must be installed manually.  Following are the many steps that I took to install my WPS54G to work with Windows 7; lengthy, but worth it.

1. Connect your printer to the PC using a USB cable and USB port.  Allow the printer to install. Print a test page.  Even though you just installed the printer, check for an updated printer driver at the manufacturer’s website.   I did this late in the process before I could get the printer to work.  It installed an HP universal driver.
  2. Set the printer as the default.
  3. If you do not know the IP address of your print server, access the router using your browser.  See your manual for instructions.  For a Linksys, type the default IP router address 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar.  If you have done this in the past, set up your router security.  The default user name is left blank and the default password is admin.
  4. Connect your print server to the PC using a USB cable and USB port.
  5. On the router locate the DHCP Client Table and determine the IP address of the print server.  You might have to refresh the table.  The default is probably 192.168.1.78.
  6. Access the print server using your browser and the IP address of the print server.  The default user name is left blank and the default password is admin.  Set up security to match the router, SSID, password, type of encryption, etc.
  7. Go to “Devices and Printers” (from the start menu), on the default printer icon that you just installed, right click and open “Printer Properties.”  Click on the “Ports” tab.
  8. Click on “Add Port.”  Select “Standard TCP/IP Port” and click on “New Port.”  Click “Next.” Add the IP address of the print server (probably 192, 168.1.78) and call the port whatever you want. Click “Next.”
  9. After the port configures and you get the “Port Settings” tab (you can also get there by clicking on “Configure Port), change the protocol to “LPR” and click “LPS byte counting enabled.”  Use “p1” or P2” etc. for the “queue name.”
  10. Disconnect the print server from the USB port and let it sit for 30 seconds.
  11. Disconnect the printer from the USB port.
  12. Connect the print server to the printer using a USB cable, let it reboot, then test print.  It should work.  Good luck.
brimnac

Hi - I know this is an older thread but I wanted to say Thank You! This worked perfect for me today, and I am super happy. It takes a little more time, but I bought the darn device for $10 off CraigsList so I can't complain.

Once more, very appreciated.

camberry

Amen to that last poster... thanks a ton.  I dusted this thing off after not using it for years and had trouble with win7-64 and this trick worked like a charm.  THANKS!!!

krasnit

Unfortunately this does not work properly. On some printers like my Canon MP530, you can only print one job.  Then the printer and print server need to be repowered.  Have not been be to figure out why, but it seems that some data gets stuck in the buffers and this is the only way to flush them out.  The system was working well on XP.

ScarletJamie

All I know, this print server is only supporting these operating systems Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 or XP. Driver is not available for windows 7.

John_Jones

I have two WPS54GU2 and a WPSM54G print servers in my home hooked to a Brother and a Samsung Printer in my house. I have a Vista, two XP and two MACs and one Windows 7 printer that worked flawlessly with every one of them. Recently, I switched to FIOS and discovered the FIOS routers just would not work with the LinkSys Print Server. I set up a sub network using my old LinkSys Router assigned as 192.168.2.1. With my Windows XP computers everything works on this sub network. For my Windows 7 HP lap top, I am having a funny problem. I can add the printer just fine going through the process suggested here. However, every time I go through a restart, the printer goes off line. I can no longer print.  I can access the print servers by typing in their IP addresses on internet explorer and even print a test page. I have tried multiple configurations, drivers. I have spent many hours trying to trouble shoot the problem. I have even tried turning my firewalls off. Hope somebody can point me to something I may have missed.

Jake_2.0

Maybe you need to unistall/reinstall the windows 7 printer drivers. Just make sure also that the printer will print when connected staright to the windows 7 computer.

John_Jones

FIOS & WPS54G, WPD54GU2 Print Servers for Windows 7, XP, Vista - playing together

I had posted a solicitation for help to configure two Print Servers WPS54GU2 and a WPSM54G switching to FIOS with a plethora of computers - mostly running XP, one Vista and one Windows 7. Everything had worked under the Linksys router WRT54G, before I switched to the FIOS router. After several days of struggle, I have everything working. I am posting what I did, in case other folks struggle with the same problem. This was an extremely frustrating exercise and I hope others benefit from my struggles.

1.  Do not call Verizon for help. They will simply ask for money to answer even the basic questions. It was impossible to get the DHCP client table from the user interface of the FIOS router.

2. I chose to have the LinkSys Router as a sub under the FIOS router. I connected the two routers together with an Ethernet Cable. The FIOS was the master and the LinkSys one was the slave.  I configured the LinkSys Router with the IP address of 192.168.2.1. I separated the two routers physically by about 15 feet, using a long Ethernet cable, to lessen the chances of interference from one router to another.

3. I now had two WIFI networks with two different SSIDs running in my house. I made sure they operated on two different channels, from the configuration screens. I found the free tool InSSIDer pretty useful, to see the channels, signal strengths etc. I wanted to keep them separate from our neighbors WIFI as well as my WIFI remote speaker for surround sound as well.

4. I let the non-computer network gadgets run on the FIOS -WIFI channel, TV-Netflix, iPhones, iPads etc.

5. All the computers in the house, Print Servers, Wireless Printers were configured to the LinkSys Router SSID.

6. Firmware for Print Servers

WPS54G – I had upgraded to Version 1019. This was a bad idea. I had to regress back to Version 1017.   WPD54GU2, I am running version 6032 even though Cisco has a much newer version.

CONFIGURING THE PRINT SERVERS THEMSELVES

Follow the steps Cat-State below has described verbatim. Thank you very much for putting this in one succinct listing. I wish I had seen it earlier

Hopefully, this will save others with Print Servers and FIOS some time.