Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
parksplace5454

Linksys WPS54G-RM Error Code: #87

I just purchased a Linksys WPS54G-RM print server from Tiger Direct.  Using the supplied Setup Wizzard Ver 2 CD, I successfully completed the install and setup.  However, when I attempt to connect the PC to the Print Server (the last step before printing a test page) the wizzard indicates a successful connection and then displays "Set Printer Fail. Error Code: #87" and the test page does not print.  I am using an HP Pavilion dv600 laptop with windows Vista Home Premier and a Lexmark Z52 color jetprinter.  Any ideas?
Thanks very much,
parksplace5454 :smileymad::smileymad::smileymad:
castor

Re: Linksys WPS54G-RM Error Code: #87

1) connect router >> PS >> printer, power cycle the n/w by unplugging power cable of PS and power down the printer...power up the PS first and then the printer

2) reset the PS about 20 seconds, printer should print a test page...note down the IP address of PS, open I.E. and in the address bar type the IP address of PS, it would ask for username and password, put "admin" (default password) as a password without any username.

3) PS setup page pops up click on the wireless tab and edit the wireless settings according to wireless settings of the router...click on protocol tab and try setting up static IP address according to the DHCP server of the router for e.g. if the router is running on 192.168.1.1 IP address, the IP address of PS should be 192.168.1.10 subnetmask 255.255.255.0 gateway  192.168.1.1 save the settings and power cycle the n/w...

4) in order to work with the computer, you need to open TCP/IP ports on the computer...

Click on the windows logon or start >> printers >> click on "add a local printer" >> create a new port "standard TCP/IP port">> enter the IP address of the print server >> select custom "settings" >> select "LPR" >> Queue Name put "LP1" and check LPR Byte counting enabled >> click ok >> select printer name or model no. >> printer name pops up, select "set as the default printer" >> next and check whether it prints or not and let me know the results...
parksplace5454

Thanks very much for the help; I will give it a shot.
Parksplace5454
Pinedale AZ
Dr Tweak

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment to register and let you know that I had this exactly same problem described. I followed your instructions exactly and now my print server is working. Thanks for the support! -Doc
Marcelao

I did print the test page but after that I cannot print anymore.
The print appears on prnters as ready but is not printing.
yousaf

just purchased a Linksys WPS54G-RM print server from Tiger Direct.  Using the supplied Setup Wizzard Ver 2 CD, I successfully completed the install and setup.  However, when I attempt to connect the PC to the Print Server (the last step before printing a test page) the wizzard indicates a successful connection and then displays "Set Printer Fail. Error Code: #87" and the test page does not print.  I am using an HP Pavilion dv600 laptop with windows Vista Home Premier and a Lexmark Z52 color jetprinter.  Any ideas?
Thanks very much,
parksplace5454
phil andrews

try this
 follow the steps mentioned below
1)go to add printer >> select "add local printer"
2)select "create a new port" >>"standard tcp/ip port" as "type of port" >> click "next"
3)enter the ip add of the PS in the "hostname or ip add" field
4)uncheck "query the printer and automatically select the driver to use"
5)select custom , click on settings
6)select "LPR" as the "protocol" .. under the LPR settings put in any name for the "queue name"
7)check "LPR Byte counting enabled"
8)click "OK" , click "Next"
9)select the manufacturer and model number of the printer..if not available , then click on "have disk" , click "next" , check "set as default printer" ..

PONG69

I am having the same error code 87 problem on my Toshiba laptop running vista, however i am unable to accuarately understand your e-mail instructions a s I am not that savvy.

can you restate the process?