Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MajorSparky
Accepted Solution

Network Printer connected to PSUS4 goes offline on PC shutdown....

I am close to giving up on this problem, so help would be really appreciated.

My network printer goes offline when my computer is shutdown or sleeps. I have a Samsung printer that is connected to a Linksys PSUS4 print server via a Linksys WAG160N wireless router.Two computers that are hard wired to the router see and access the printer without problems. I now have a new Sony Vaio (Vista os) laptop which accesses the WAG160N router wirelessly. The Vaio connects to the internet o.k, but every time I shutdown the PC, the printer goes offline, and stays offline to the Vaio when I start it up again.

If I delete the printer from the Vaio and then `add printer' again, selecting the option of `add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer' shows the network printer \\LK90a6dd\p1 as being available. But if I try to connect to it, I get 'X Windows cannot connect to the printer'. If, instead, I choose `Add a local printer', and select the existing port `\\LK90a6dd\p1 (client side rendering provider)', and the Samsung ML1210 series printer driver, the printer is installed, works fine and stays online - until I shutdown the Vaio, that is. Then it's delete printer, install printer etc etc to access the printer again.

Help, pleeeaaassseee.. 

Kevin Cheng

Re: Network Printer connected to PSUS4 goes offline on PC shutdown....

Try the TCP/IP printing on vista.
MajorSparky

Kevin, I owe you a drink. I added the printer as a local (as opposed to network) printer, entered the IP address, printer driver etc., restarted the computer, and....... the printer stayed online. Contrary to many critics of Vista, I've found it to be a reasonable OS. But maybe it's glitches like these that give it a bad name. Many thanks for your help. Really appreciated.

Carrot

Yes, evrytime you should use the TCP/IP Printing if you have a Print Server, as it's a reliable option...
Kevin Cheng

The solution should be mine, not you.

Just kidding! :-)   Glad to help you.

lissaneor

[ Edited ]

Its a common problem now a days. Its not an easy task to trouble shoot it but with with some dedication things can be better more info about you can visit this to check network printer offline .