Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
arew264

PSUS4 Firmware Upgrade

Before I ask my question, let me assure you that I know that Linksys is in no way responsible for any results of what I'm trying to do, and that what I'm attempting it outside the designated uses of this product.

Now, that said, I'm trying to get an alternative firmware onto my PSUS4. The problem is that the web interface rejects it (no surprise there) and this device doesn't seem to be running a tftp server like most other Linksys devices.

Here's the question for Linksys: Does the PSUS4 run a tftp server for firmware upgrades? If so, is there any reason why that server would ignore write and read requests?

Carrot

Re: PSUS4 Firmware Upgrade

Please provide more information.

What error do you get when you try to upgrade the alternate firmware ?

Kindly mention the alternate firmware and it's use ?

Kindly state what error do you get when you try to upgrade the firmware using the Print Server setup and tftp utility ?

arew264

What error do you get when you try to upgrade the alternate firmware?

The web interface just gives me a generic error saying the upgrade fails. I assume Linksys has some mechanism to make sure their firmware is valid, and any other binary files would fail the test. If nothing else, the Linksys firmware files must have the version number embedded somewhere, and my file doesn't.

Kindly mention the alternate firmware and it's use?

It's something I'm working on, but it hasn't been tested yet. It's a very small linux installation with all the drivers necessary to mount a root filesystem on a flash drive in the USB port.

My thought is that if I can get even a basic linux installation working, CUPS (the Common Unix Printing System) will make the printserver more useful to me.

Kindly state what error do you get when you try to upgrade the firmware using the Print Server setup and tftp utility?

tftp always times out, which is what led me to post this question to begin with. I've tried setting the password to nothing, and I've tried a program made for linux called linksys-tftp that is used to upgrade firmware on Linksys routers. It's just tftp with customizations to make it send the administration password correctly.

BiAdmin just tells me to check the file.

I can get more exact messages if you want them, but I recall them being pretty generic to begin with.

I'm mostly wondering why tftp would be failing, but before I list everything I've tried, I'm hoping to just find out whether tftp is actually running.

Kevin Cheng

PSUS4 does not support tftp upgrade.

And I don't think your code can be upgraded to PSUS4.

arew264

Okay, that's all I wanted to know. Thanks.