Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lowbassc

WPS54GU2 and Windows 7

Does anyone know if the Linksys WPS54GU2 is compatible with Windows 7? The print server works with other computers on my network, but I can't get it to work with my new Dell laptop running Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Carrot

Re: WPS54GU2 and Windows 7

The CD wil not work on Windows7.If the WPS is configured and working properly with other computers then,on Windows7 computer,you need to add ports.

Open Control Panel in WIndows 7 and open the "Printers" folder. Right click on the "Printer Name" and click on Properties and below you need to click on "Add Port" and click on Next and in the next screen, click on "Create a new port". At the "Type of Port" prompt, use the drop-down and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click next.

Under "Device Type" use the drop-down and select "TCP/IP device". The Hostname or IP address for this device will be the address assigned in the Protocol tab on the administration web page. Click the box that will allow the O/S to query the printer for the appropriate driver and click "Next".

The "Additional Port Inforrmation" screen should open. Click on "Custom" and then "Settings". Protocol = LPR and LPR settings are: Queue Name = LP1 and check on "LPR Byte Counting Enabled". Leave "SNMP Status Enabled" unchecked. Click Ok and Ok. Once you are back to your Printer Folder, Close all the windows and restart your Computer.

Now open anyone of your Documents and try to give a Print Command, and you should get the printout.

howdido

Here's what worked for me using a Dell XPS M1530 laptop running Windows 7 Ultra 32 bit.

LinkSys has a driver that will work with Win 7 on its support website already.

It supports Windows XP, Vista and 7, both 32 and 64-bit. 

It will allow all of the multi-functions of your printer to be accessed as they were in earlier Windows versions, assuming that you have followed the LinkSys installation instructions up through installing the printer and drivers by physically attaching the printer to your computer first.

You need to download the new WPSM54G drivers and upgrade your device firmware to 1019 . 

F/W: http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/firmware/1224638345259/WPSM54G_v1019.zip

Select Hardware Version 1.0 (the only choice available).

Drivers: http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/setupwizard/wpsm54g_v20r6.zip

In Win 7, run "setup.exe" from the LinkSys driver "Utility" folder.  DO NOT RUN THE SETUP WIZARD!

On my machine the path is C:\...\wpsm54g_v20r6\wpsm54g_v20\Utility\setup.exe

If you try to install it by clicking the "Set up Computer" button in the Wizard dialog, you will get an error message that says the driver is not compatible, and it will not install.

You do NOT have to set up a TCP/IP or LPR or virtual port.  You do NOT have to assign a static IP address to the print server, you can leave it DHCP.  You do NOT need to do anything special.  Just follow these instructions, and the LinkSys setup.exe software will do everything for you.  However, YMMV. :smileywink:

Mark A. Neff
Intelligent Systems by Design, LLC
No charge to newbies.
Terri

Firmware update won't install.  What version of the firmware did you use? 

howdido

Terri wrote:

Firmware update won't install.  What version of the firmware did you use? 

Terri - As I wrote in the message directly above your quetion:

You need to download the new WPSM54G drivers and upgrade your device firmware to 1019 .

F/W: http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/firmware/1224638345259/WPSM54G_v1019.zip

You sould be able to download the firmware from the link above, unzip the (.bin) firmware update file, and run the firmware update from the menu of the print server.  You didn't say why it won't install.  What happens when you try to install the firmware?  What message are you getting? 

Mark A. Neff
No charge to newbies.
howdido

Terri:

You need to run the firmware update from the print server attached by an ethernet cable to your router or PC. The default IP address of the print server is 192.168.1.240.  You log on to the print server and navigate to the STATUS tab of the print server menu screen. Next, pick the DEVICE tab below STATUS.   Then simply press the upgrade button in the body of the screen, and point it to where ever you unzipped the WPSM54G_v1019.bin file.

Hope that helps.
Mark A. Neff
No charge to newbies.
Terri

When I upgrade the firmware to WPSM54G_v1019.bin , I get the message,  "Upgrade fail! Please make sure your upgrade file is correct."  The printer server is connected by ethernet to my router which is connected by eithernet to my computer. 

Any ideas?

howdido

Hmmm.  The only thing I can think of is that the .bin file is corrupted.  You might try re-downloading and unzipping the file again.  It sounds like your hookup is good, or you wouldn't have gotten that message.  If you are running the upgrade from the WPS54GU2 menu, then I can't think of anything else to try, off hand.  Try that and let us know what happens.   We will figure it out.

Mark A. Neff
No charge to newbies.
howdido

Hi Terri:

Just to make sure, you are signed on to the print server as the administrator, and you are pressig the Upgrade button, correct?  And the path to the .bin file that it prompts for you have pointing to the correct .bin file?  Please get a screen shot when/if you get the message again.

Mark A. Neff
No charge to newbies.
BigBadBob

Users that have Network Magic can set up the print server in Network Magic and the system will recognize the printer.  Be careful to set up all elements of the server - i.e. USB 1 port.