delfin2003

WPSM54G WINDOWS 7 INSTALLATION GUIDE!

Ok, so I just spent about 9 hours figuring out how to make win 7 and this print server work! Some of this guide contains quotes from other threads, I don't take any credit for that. Here it is ladies and gents:

Setting up WPSM54G:

1. Connect your WPSM54G to your wireless router using a network cable and log in into your WPSM54G using default login/password: admin/admin. In order to log in, you need to know your print server's ip address. You can guess it, for example if my PC's ip adderess is 192.168.1.100 then my WPSM54G ip address will probably be 192.168.1.101, this is assuming my computer is the only one on the network. Or, you can look up WPSM54G ip address by loggin in into your wireless router by going to 192.168.1.1 (type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of Internet Exlorer, Firefox, etc and hit enter) and using admin/admin as login/password combination assuming you have't changed it to something else and looking at DHCP client table.

2. Now you are in WPSM54G administration menu. Click on the 'Wireless' -> 'Basic', in the SSID field, enter the SSID (name) of your wireless network. Ex: BOBS_WIRLESS. Save. This is important, if you won't enter a correct name you won't be able to access print server later on. If you don't know your wireless network's name, I suggest you look it up in the menu of your wireless router as described in step 1. By the way, if you are using a common name for you wireless network such as 'linksys', I suggest changing it to something more specific as in: BOBS_WIRELESS_XYZ123 or something of that sort. And change your common admin/admin login/password combo to something else too if you have not done that already for security reasons.

3. Click on the 'Security' tab and change Security Mode to WPA2 Personal, WPA Encryption to AES,
  (this is assuming your wireless router's ecnryption method is set you AES. You can check your wirelss router's encryption method by going to 192.168.1.1 as described in step 1) and enter your WPA Shared Key. Save.

4. Don't worry about this step if you know your WPSM54G ip address and you are not using DHCP configuration in your wireless router.  My WRT54GS wirelss router is using DHCP with starting IP address of 192.168.1.100 and ending address in 192.168.1.149. I went ahead and assigned my print server a static ip by clicking on the 'Protocol' tab and then and Use the Following IP Address:

IP address: 192.168.1.149
   Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
   Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Save. Make sure to enter a correct ip address in the browser when connecting to WPSM54G, in this case, the new ip address is: 192.168.1.149

5. Change password on WPSM54G from default login/password: admin/admin to something more secure.

6. Disconnect power from WPSM54G, unplug network cable, connect power to WPSM54G, wireless light is supposed to come on and no you should be able to access administration menu of WPSM54G wirelessly by going to: 192.168.1.149 or whatever the ip address of your WPSM54G is.

Setting up the printer:

1. Connect WPSM54G to printer using USB cable

2. Open your Devices and Printers folder and select the "Add A Printer" button

3. Now select "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

4. Immediately select "The printer that I want isn't listed"

5. Select "Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname"

6. In the "Hostname or IP address" field, enter the IP address of your print server (if you don't know it - go to your router's web configuration utility and look it up. See your router's documentation for how to do this)

7. Un-select "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use" and click Next

If you don't have your specific printer driver available (in my case, I didn't have spcific printer driver for windows 7 for my Lexmark C534N printer since it was discontinued):

8. In the Device Type, select "Standard" and choose Lexmark Network Printer

9. Click Windows Update to update a list of drivers, this might take a while

10. Choose Lexmark as manufactirer and in the printer selection pick Lexmark C534 PS3 (choose your own manufacturer and printer!). Windows will download drivers which might take a while and the rest should be self explanatory

If you do have your specific printer driver:

8. In the Device Type, select "Custom" and click Next

9. Select "Have Disk" and point it to the location of your printer's drivers (either CD or local disk)

10. Select your printer model and the rest should be self explanatory.

sahara2810

Re: WPSM54G WINDOWS 7 INSTALLATION GUIDE!

I tried this and it did not work with my Dell 1815dn. Set up everything as per instructions. If anyone has this same printer and has the linksys printer server WPSM54G and a Windows 7 OS please reply if you have a fix. Thanks.

delfin2003

Where exactly did you stumble?

KEITH1

THANKS FOR YOUR INFO ON WIN 7 INSTALLATION , AS A REPAIR TECH MYSELF, YOU NEVER KNOW WERE YOUR GONA FIND HELP, 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

WORKS PERFECT!:smileyhappy:

AsianPirate

FYI using a Dell 1320c color laser printer. This didn't work for me either. I was able to add the printer using the IP address I assigned to the print server, but I can't connect... I can see the admin screen for the print server, and from there it detects my printer, but I tried printing a test page from here to no avail. I also tried detecting the printer using Dell's software, but it can't see it.

Thoughts?

naomi.migliacci@yahoo.com

I can print the test page from online.... at the http address but it will not print from my computer any ideas??

delfin2003

AsianPirate,

Are you able to access your PrintServer's menu wirelessly? If so, then do not insert a disc to install a printer driver, follow the instructions on how to install a printer without the driver available (like i did for my C534N). When a list of drivers comes up, choose 1320c PS3 driver.
delfin2003

Naomi,

Did you have a driver cd when you installed a printer driver? If so, follow the instructions on how to install a printer without the driver available (like i did for my C534N). When a list of drivers comes up, choose YOURPRINTERMODEL PS3 driver

timneyman

Great guide - worked like a charm. Thanks very much for taking the time...

angelzeno

Wow and Wow, thanks for posting these instructions. I was a little confusing for a newbie, but eventually I was able to get my printer to connect and work with my wireless network,

Thanks,