Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Joe E

WPSM54G removed from Vista compatibility list

Prior to my purchase of a WPSM54G I researched the web and found it was listed on retail web sites as compatible with Vista. To make sure, I looked on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatiblity List (http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx?m=v). It was listed as "Designed for Windows XP" and either compatible with Vista, or works with Vista. I even looked at the certification dates.

After having some Vista SP1 RC1 issues with it, I looked for it again on the compatiblity list, and low-and-behold it was gone.

For those of you wondering if the WPSM54G is compatible with Windows Vista, the answer is...not anymore.
WirelessUser77

Re: WPSM54G removed from Vista compatibility list

Hi. I am not one to do Linksys' job for them, but apparently they missed this. Here is the listing of Linksys products capable of Vista. The print server is on there.

RetiredWarrant

Linksys may claim that it is compatable, but I cannot make it work with my Vista laptop. It works fine with my computer running XP. I have tried everything that I've read on this forum, but I believe I have wasted $100 on this thing because it will NOT work with my Vista laptop. If anyone has succeeded, PLEASE post how you did it! Thanks.
Alabama

I was able to get my WPSM54G working this afternoon at home on a new Lenovo ThinkPad running Vista Business and printing to an HP PhotoSmart 7960 inkjet. I first connected the printer via USB and let Vista configure the printer. Then I connected the printer to the print server and ran the Setup Wizard I had downloaded from the LinkSys support site. Vista complained a great deal about not being able to verify the creator of the driver and not being able to find the correct printer driver. I just told it to go ahead and then to forget looking for a printer driver. I don't get the nice little ink capacity information each time I print, like I do on my XP systems, but it prints correctly.  I haven't tried it wth photos (from Vista that is), but all I need from this latop is basic printing while at home.

But even though I seem to have it working, I must say, for anyone from LinkSys who might read this, your support for users using Vista is a disgrace. There is no documentation and you let folks on these forums flounder about without lifting a hand to assist. My Cisco Sales Representative will be screaming at folks next quarter because I am going to ensure a $200K sale she believes is in her pocket go to Extreme; and some larger ones down the road to other vendors. And the reason is going to be that I am concerned that the level of support shown by LinkSys is indicative of where Cisco is heading. I don"t have the time to deal with poorly supported equipment at home and my team, with the SLAs we have in place with our internal customers, cannot be responsible for such equipment at work. Neither Cisco or LinkSys are the only game in town, so I'll be taking ALL my purchases somewhere else until the situation improves.

RetiredWarrant

Alabama- Thanks for your post, but no joy here. I de-installed everything and started from scratch but I'm back to being stuck with the "Please wait system process Network USB Root Hub installation." error message. Looks like it's time for me to look at Netgear products.
RetiredWarrant

SUCCESS!!!
I had to use a combined aproach. First I deleted the old print driver software and let Vista set it up as suggested by Alabama. Then I used the setup.exe program in the vista32 folder from linksys download (not from the installation CD). Install.exe actually uninstalled everything. Then I deleted the lknukst.sys file in the windows\system32\drivers folder as suggested by NTC5. Then I turned off the Live OneCare firewall (I wound up having to deinstall OneCare altogether and am using my free McAfee from Comcast instead). Then I started the setup.exe program in the vista32 folder once again. This time it made it through the install correctly. Of course Vista did complain about some unknown drivers, but ignore it. Long story-short, both my Vista laptop and my XP desktop now print to my Epson CX4800 with no problems. Thanks to everyone who contributed!