01-19-2010 06:27 AM
Here are the steps to make this print server work on Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
1) Make sure you have the drivers for your printer available (either on a CD or on the local machine somewhere) - you don't need to install anything - just have the drivers available.
2) Make sure the print server hardware is running firmware 1019 (you need to connect the print server with an ethernet cable to your router or you won't be able to upgrade the firmware. You can't upgrade the firmware over WiFi).
3) Assuming you have the firmware installed (see device documentation for how to do that) and you have the print server device successfully connected to your network - you can proceed to step 4.
4) Open your Devices and Printers folder and select the "Add A Printer" button
5) Now select "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"
6) Immediately select "The printer that I want isn't listed"
7) Select "Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname"
8) In the "Hostname or IP address" field, enter the IP address of your print server (if you don't know it - go to your router's web configuration utility and look it up. See your router's documentation for how to do this)
9) Un-select the "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use" and click Next
10) Select "Custom" and click Next
11) Select "Have Disk" and point it to the location of your printer's drivers (either CD or local disk)
12) Select your printer model and the rest should be self explanatory.
Hope this is helpful. I tested this on both Win7 32 bit and 64 bit and it works fine. Sorry that the instructions are not more in depth but I did most of this from memory. It's a shame Linksys doesn't have better online documentation for this.
01-19-2010 06:42 AM - edited 01-19-2010 06:56 AM
I believe that I already set up the driver because I think I chose "Set up Computer" before and at the end it said that the driver was setup correctly.
So I ran wizard.exe and went through all of the steps of plugging and unplugging everything and at one point it found my wireless network and then it asked me to unplug the network cable and it found the printer server wirelessly and said "The Print Server is now connected to your wireless network". The wireless indicator light on the print server is on. So I think I am good with that right?
So then I think about the computer and how to set that up and I ran setup.exe out of the utility folder and it started running and then asked me if I wanted to remove the application and all of it's components. I exited out. I figured that meant that it is already set up.
I have not upgraded the firmware yet. I looked at the print server user guide and it tells how to do it but it says that I need the IP address of the print server and that if I don't know it I can double click on the Print Server Utility Icon but it does not tell me where that is.
Thanks so much for the help.
01-19-2010 07:16 AM
01-19-2010 06:47 PM
I think the problem should be you have not upgrade your WPSM54G to latest F/W 1019 .
To use new driver/utility, you must upgrade device to F/W 1019 .
Do it first.
Refer to following procedure comes from user guide.
1. Open the web browser of your PC.
2. In the Address field, enter the IP address of the PrintServer. (If you do not know its IP address, double-click the PrintServer Utility icon. The IP address of the PrintServer will be displayed on the Print Server Information screen.)
3. On the login screen, enter admin in the User Name field. Then enter the password in the Password field.
Click the OK button.
4. Click the Status tab.
5. Click the Device tab. Click the Upgrade button. You will be taken to the Firmware Upgrade screen.
1. Click the Browse button to find F/W file.
2. Click the Start Upgrade button, and follow the on-screen instructions.
01-25-2010 10:54 PM - edited 01-25-2010 10:55 PM
The taskbar, lower side on the desktop screen
On the right end of taskbar, you should be able to see one little triangle icon on the bar, click it.
Then you can see a few icons in a little windows. The print server icon is like a suitcase(I don't know what it is, I call it suitcase ) in white.
Double click this icon, it will pop up one windows, you can see current IP Address of WPSM54G in it.
01-31-2010 06:35 AM - edited 01-31-2010 06:54 AM
Thanks ! I bought one yesterday and the software attached with it doesnt work on W7 . With the new version that you can find in the USA web ( in the Spanish web is still the older... ) i can manage to setup the print server , and then i have added the printer manually like adfsaf said ( first post , second page ) although i choose one of the drivers that W7 offer me instead of put the CD drivers of my printer.
I couldnt update to 1019 ( i guess its only works with the USA version , the EU version need an FW adapted ) .. but its works fine with 1018 also.
Now it works perfectly on W7 Home Edition X64.
01-31-2010 07:45 AM
I am trying to upgrade the firmware and as I said in previous posts, did not find my ip address of the print server. I clicked on the print server utility icon and the ip address is blank. It says it is offline. I have it connected to the router with the ethernet cable.