dhave

WPSM54G with Linux?

[ Edited ]
I've got a WPSM54G printserver working fine for my office's two Windows machines. However, I have one Linux machine, and I need to be able to print from it, too.

Though I'm reasonably adept with Linux, I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up CUPS to talk to the printserver. I can successfully ping the printserver, but I can't figure out which protocol, port info, etc., to use.

If anybody can kindly provide a step-by-step using either the CUPS browser interface or KDE's print configurer in Kcontrol, I'd appreciate it.

The rest of my wifi LAN is Linksys, which is why I got a Linksys printserver. I'm wondering if I should have gotten a Lexmark or another model that has explicit support for Linux.

Thanks very much.

Message Edited by dhave on 04-01-200709:56 AM

dhave

Re: WPSM54G with Linux?

After working most of the weekend with this, I'm at the point of swapping this model for a Lexmark wifi printserver that has explicit Linux support.

If anybody can help me get this cute little Linksys printserver working with CUPS, I'll gladly hold off!
-OTAKUS_06-

Is this how that works? You basically would be needing IP printing....but Im not that familiar with Linux.... :smileysurprised:

"You tried your best and you failed miserably! "
dhave

-OTAKUS_06- wrote:
Is this how that works? You basically would be needing IP printing....but Im not that familiar with Linux.... :smileysurprised:

Going through it now. Thanks for the link. I've followed several fairly explicit sets of instructions for configuring CUPS with a printserver, but perhaps this one has something that the others missed.

I'll report back yea or nay.

Thanks again.
dhave

-OTAKUS_06- wrote:

Well, I think these pages describe (1) how to set up a Linux printserver, i.e., a printserver running on a Linux machine and (2) how to connect a Windows client to it.

In my case, I have a freestanding wifi printserver (WPSM54G) and am trying to connect a Linux client to it. My two Windows machines are connecting just fine as clients (although a VMWare Windows host on a Linux machine isn't working yet).

But my main interest right now is getting this Linux machine to print via the Linksys wifi standalone print server. The installation utility works beautifully for Windows, but it doesn't provide any help for non-Windows users.

As I say, I probably should have gone with a print server that explicitly supports Linux. Since I've had good success in the past getting Linksys hardware to work in my mixed LAN, I thought I could do the same in this case. I may have been wrong.

But thanks for the link, regardless.
-OTAKUS_06-

Can you try this

The procedure that I reckon you do is somewhat like the TCP/IP printing procedure indicated on the thread's FAQ's. It's main objective is to get your machine to point the printjob onto the IP address of the printserver. So you basically need to set a static IP on the printserver then specify the IP address to the printer port of your drivers.

-OTAKUS_06-

Oh I found this one...I think this is it...

dhave

Well, I think there is some progress. I finally got some output -- not perfect, but still output -- using this as my CUPS Device URI: http://192.168.1.101/ipp/raw1 .

One weird thing is that CUPS doesn't seem to know that it has successfully printed a document. I get messages such as "Printer does not support IPP 1.1, trying 1.0...". And the progress section shows "processing" after the job is all done. In fact, it gets stuck on "processing" until I cancel the job manually. So things aren't yet perfect, but they're better.

I stumbled onto this URI from a combination of how-to docs such as the ones that -OTAKUS_06- recommended. Thanks for the help.

I'm going to keep tweaking this, at least until my boss decides I've wasted enough time. I'll trying some different protocols (different "Device URI" settings) to see if I can get better results, including accurate CUPS messages.
dhave

[ Edited ]
Just to follow up with this, I never had success with this printserver and have had to return it. I've since gotten another brand of wireless USB printserver that explicitly supports Unix and Unix-derivative operating systems as well as Windows and Mac OS. I should have researched this better in advance.

If you would like more info, you could send me a private message via the forum.

Message Edited by dhave on 04-04-200704:18 PM

BlueLaguna

Thanks to your post about the ipp through http, I have been able to setup my printer server! I did this using KDE (Kubuntu Gutsy), but I'd imagine the process would be similar for any configuration method that uses IPP. In KDE, you would add a printer from the Printers configuration tool and select "Network Printer w/IPP" as the backend. Then just enter ipp://192.168.1.4:80/ipp for the printer uri and proceed as normal for the printer installation.