Authentication error

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have Linksys router WAG120N & Linksys Range Expander WRE54G.

When I try to connect both of them, connection is successful. But if a device such as Samsung Galaxy S4 tries to connect to Range Expander, Authentication error occures. But when the device connects to router after switching off Range Expander, connection is successful.

Following are the wireless settings on Router:

Basic: 

Wireless Configuration: Manual

Network Mode: Mixed

Network Name (SSID): NetworkName

Radio Band: Auto

Wide Channel: 9

Standard Channel: 11

SSID Broadcast: Enable

Following are the settings on Range Expander:

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Channel: 9

SSID: NetworkName 

Security on both is set to WPA Perrsonal & WPA PSK respectively & also the password is same on both.

If any more details are required please let me know.

Please could anyone help me in solving this authentication error.

Re: Authentication error

Do you have the latest firmware installed on both WAG120N and the WRE54G? This is one of the probable cause of your concern. Do you experience this problem on your other wireless devices connected to your WRE54G? There is also a need to check on the compatibility of the WRE54G and the Samsung Galaxy S4 especially that the phone is new wireless device and might be having a wireless N adapter and you only have a wireless G extender. Do you have a wireless G device that you can try to connect to the WRE54G to further isolate the issue?

There seems to be problem with the repeater. I had called a Computer Hardware Engineer & he said that the repeater is not supporting other devices. So i'll try installing other company's repeater.

By the way, what is the exact version number of your WRE54G? That range expander could actually work with any router as long as both devices were using the same wireless settings.

The settings are proper, as link between router & repeater establishes successfully - as blue link light indicates. Version 3.03.01 was not Authenticating the devices, so I upgraded the firmware to v3.04.01, but still not working.

I checked on the US support site and there is no more available firmware for WRE54G v.3. I checked on the UK support site and was able to verify this downloadable firmware, v.3.0.0.21, for WRE54G v.3.

Where did you download the firmware versions of your WRE54G? Did you use a 3rd party firmware?

It is not a downloadable firmware but a setup wizard file.