Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
scott gregory

Connect RE1000 via wired not wireless

Can the RE1000 connect to the network via the Ethernet jack? We've got a big house with plaster/metal lath walls and it doesn't seem to be picking up the wireless signal of the E4200 V2 once I configure it in the same room, then move it to the other side of the house. Can it be connected via wired Ethernet (we've got jacks throughout the house), or is that not how a range extender works? If not, is there any other solution, like re-install my old WRT54G and use that as well as the E4200?

Brenda

Re: Connect RE1000 via wired not wireless

Here's the sample jpeg of RE1000

http://seoroot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/linksys-re1000.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. However, I didn't seem to see the solution I was looking for: Can the Linksys / Cisco RE1000 range extender do its magic through a wired Ethernet connection (not just be set up through a hard-wired connection)? Or is it that once you did a hardwired setup directly via your PC or laptop, then you can plug the set-up extender into wired Ethernet? I thought you could because I recall from a couple years that a side benefit of a wire-connected extender was greater throughput since the extender wasn't relaying in two directions, thus you doubled theoretical throughput.

forsaken

Before I suggest you for troubleshooting steps, I would like to as few questions? Like, you would like to connect the RE1000 as an access point or as a Bridge? You want to configure as well as want to us it in between the router and the computer?

scott gregory

Most likely I'd use the RE1000 it as an access point. But it doens't really matter if one way works and works more easily so I can get WiFi though the house with the E4200V2 at one end and the RE1000 at the other.

supecoop

I have a similar problem with thick lath and plaster walls but after testing the RE1000 in several locations and needing a strong signal throughout tIhe house here's what has worked for me.  The RE1000 works both as a wired AP and a wireless extender at the same time.  First I configured the RE1000 with a static IP address. This seems to make the connection stronger to the router. Then I connected it to my wireless BluRay player by ethernet cable.  The BluRay configuration had to be changed for a wired setup.  This gives the BluRay player a consistent strong LAN  signal, and the RE1000's green light at the connection goes crazy when the BluRay player is using the LAN. But at the same time the RE1000 broadcasts a strong LAN signal to laptops and cellphones in that area of the house. For this to work, your AP usage device has to be in an area where the RE1000 can get a decent signal from your router but that's the only limit.

melkallas

I belive what scott was askign and i am looking for the same answer is this

we would like to connect the RE1000 to teh Router VIA ethernet Cable ( ex Running a cable from the router at one end of the house to the RE1000 at the other end of the house) So the RE1000 could be at a place where the wireless connection of the router possibly dosent reach in hopes that we can get a strong wireless signal at both ends

and the question is would that work? and if so how would it be setup?

excuse my lame description but I hope it gets our idea and question across:smileyvery-happy:

Stan S

[ Edited ]

I am also looking for the same answer. I bought the RE1000 yesterday, but the installation guide (which only says that I should insert a CD in my computer and follow instructions) doesn't help me with this answer. If it is not possible, I have to return it asap. The reason I need to know is that the RE1000 is in a spot where I don't have wireless internet, but I do have a wire from my router there. 

scott gregory

I'm using the forum as an alternative to calling Cisco tech support. So far the responses here have been cheerful (thank you) but there's still a smallish black hole in our knowledge base among users: "How do you make the little remote box RE 1000 become a repeater, access point, whatever you want to call it so there's a strong signal in a big house or even a medium house with metal lath plaster walls?" The Cisco docs are upbeat and nicely graphics-filled but they don't seem to answer the question either. I'm on hold right now using the RE1000 in wireless mode and that allows a low level wireless signal to reach the other end of the house.  

It seems as if you should be able to plug in the RE1000 via wired next to your PC or laptop, run a configuration where one choice is [] Make me a wired repeater ... and then, presto, it happens. One of the selling points of the Cisco E4200V2 and RE1000 that collectively cost $300 is that it's supposed to be idiotproof to set up and configure with great security (yes) and easy to configure guest acess (yes) ... and I wish it was also that way for the remote repeater.

Stan S

I just tested it very quickly. Set up the RE1000 as a wireless repeater. Unplug it, go to the spot where I don't have a connection. Plug in the wire and it doesn't work of course. I reset the RE1000, try to do it manually (192.168.1.1) but I couldn't even connect to it. Anyway, for the reason that they focus so hard on the wireless repeater, even the software only works if you set it up as a wireless repeater (why not wireless and wired?) I will return this product now and get something else. I don't have time to try many things. It needs to work immediately :smileyhappy: /very impatient