Betialai

Link two range extenders

Can I attach a range extender to an already configured range extender? That is, can I expand the WiFi 'bubble' by adding a second range extender to the edge of the range covered by the first one, thus expanding even more the coverage of the WiFi network? Furthermore, if that's possible, is there a limit on the number of range extender that can be attached one to another?
brickmonkey

Re: Link two range extenders

No you cannot cascade range expanders in series. If you want to use multiple range expanders, they all will have to be set to repeat the signal of base wireless router/ Access point.

But you can cascade wireless access points in wireless repeater mode, which is equivalent of range expander.
S Smiley

You can use an expander to expand another. I have 3 of them working. You have to manually confgiure them.
Elallandria

oh, how did you do that? any spesific IP you need to give them? when i tried, i wasnt able to get more then one range expander working, 2 if both of them were close to the router, 3rd didnt work at all.

if you could explain how you did it, maybe i can finally make use of my 3rd range expander.
S Smiley

I set the IP address manually through the ethernet port & software. Mine expanders are version 3. I don't recall the steps, but  you follow the setup instructions but  do not accept the auto set,  set the ip address, subnet address & default gateway.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert on these expanders. I am constantly looking for new information.
S Smiley

Just a little more info on setting-up your expander.  The router assigns addresses to computers etc that connects to it. The same goes for the expander. Your router has an address such as 192.168.0.1. The router will assign addresses within arrange that it is programed to. You go into the setup software to the expander and assign it an ip address within the range allowed by the router such as 192.168.0.121.  Then you give it a gateway address 255.255.255.0 and then you set the local network 192.l68.0.1.  Once you get all this setup you can access your expander at it's address through the web browser. http://192.168.0.121.  You will get a window and type in admin as password, no user name needed. Then you can change it without hooking it through the ethernet cable. Your router has to be broadcasting wireless in order to program the expander.

The router address is mine and I am not sure what your's is. Once you located it you can configure your expanders.

Lots of luck.
S Smiley

Assign each expander a different ip address within the range the router allows.
Elallandria

actually i have done all this. followed several documents, discussed with support, but still,they all have different IP addresses, and are within the range router allows. they are v3, firmware: ok hardware: ok all of them are working, just cant get them to "work" together.

1 is working great, 2 is working if they are set up as a pyramid with the router in the middle, i tried to add a 3rd in, then 2 of the repeaters collaps. leaving one working. this is quite odd, right? i know i havent overlooked anything since i have been reading intensivly for the past 4 weeks. also same documents over and over to see if i did overlook anything.
S Smiley

Move the second expander to the edge of the first expanders range ( 50 to 100 feet or possibly more. Mine are about 200 ft apart. See how that works.
Elallandria

ah, thanks for the reply(both threads). and the help, i will see how it goes. if not, then i will find another solution.