Keybounce

Problems with RE1000 not connecting to WRT54G (detailed)

(GRR, forum ate my message when I hit "preview". "Back arrow" didn't recover it, but forced an uncached reload of the page from the server. *GRR*.)

I'm having trouble with an RE1000 range extender, and I'm trying to connect to a WRT54G (firmware 1.00.1). It's actually in a different building.

I've got a Mac iBook G4, running 10.5.8. I can put it in a window, and connect with 2 bars (out of 4) of connectivity. But if I put the RE in the same window, the site survey either fails to find the WRT, or gets 1 bar of connectivity. Testing with it outside, between the buildings, still only gets 1 bar of connectivity in the site survey.

Most attempts to connect fail to associate (according to the log). Even when it does connect, it will not stay connected.

I cannot use the setup software that came with it. The setup application on the CD is *intel-only*. It does not work on my PPC 10.5.8 system. I found the .pdf user manual on the disk, and attempted to follow those instructions to set up with the web interface.

Site survey showed that it could see the router with one bar. It did connect, and 192.168.1.1 went from being the RE to being the WRT. But it did not stay connected.

Going to the web site, I found a lot more information. However, one item that I found disturbs me. Apparently, the range extenders have to be set to the same channel as the base unit. For the G only extender, without ethernet port, this is a requirement; no such requirement is specified for the N extender with ethernet port (the RE1000). But when I check the RE in the summary page, it shows that it is using channel 1.

So, I have the following problems so far with my RE1000.

1: The RE1000 insists on using 192.168.1.1 for itself prior to being connected. I've tried to tell it to use static (not DHCP) 192.168.1.88, but even after accepting those setting, and rebooting, it still claims to be .1, and using DHCP.

2: Despite the claim in the manual that I can go into Safari, click on the book icon, and find the router after configuration, I cannot -- ** There is no book icon **. Maybe the intel Safari is different. Maybe this is on some page, panel, or screen that's turned on on your machine, and turned off on my machine. I start up Safari, and get a full-screen of my top sites.

3. The RE1000 insists on being a DHCP server, and giving out addresses to anyone talking to it -- my G4 gets a different address from the WRT when it can connect to it. Isn't this exactly what the 196.254 block is for? I can't find any place to specify what the information for this DHCP should be, and if the lease time length is longer than just a few seconds, this is bad -- while it might make sense with a 5 second lease length so that I'll get updated/corrected lease information from the real router as soon as it's available, there's no indication that the lease is that short.

To clarify: If it has to be a DHCP server, let me say "5 second lease, the 192.168.5.x block", so that there's no chance that an IP address leased by this device will conflict with anything else.

4. The RE1000 wants to use channel 1 to extend a G network that is on channel 6. There's no way to override this. The network was found by the RE1000's site survey.

5. The RE1000 seems to have very weak antennas. My 6 year old iBook G4 is currently acting as a wireless receiver, DHCP server, internet sharing, and talking to a second router, and gets better coverage (2 bars, consistent signal, versus 1 bar, rare signal). The point of this was to get a dedicated, single purpose box that would be smaller, easier to use, and faster; I chose the RE1000 because it's a 2 antenna device so I would not have any speed loss (the current setup is not fast enough for streaming video from Netflix, and only barely fast enough for Hulu's lowest quality.)

This, if accurate, is a hardware issue that is a return. The other issues are potentially firmware fixable.

peanuts

Re: Problems with RE1000 not connecting to WRT54G (detailed)

The RE1000 is meant to extend the range of an 802.11n network. However the device has the ability to extend the signal for a traditional 802.11g router but it will not provide the desired performance. T he reason for this is because the RE1000 is built to extend 2.4 GHz 802.11n signals which use MIMO as well as other advanced technologies, if attempting to extend a G network you will not achieve the desired performance because it is not optimized to extend standard 802.11G signals. Since the settings on the RE1000 is important to verify and retrieve the wireless settings of your wireless router to match:

•    Wireless Network Name (SSID)

•    Wireless Security Mode (WPA/WPA2 Personal or WEP)

•    Network Key or Passphrase

As far as wireless channel is concern, RE1000 will automatically synchronize. If your network is working on static then in that case provide the Static information on the RE1000 according to the network.

RE1000-Static.JPG

Remember that in order to get the best performance from an RE1000 you need to place the

Extender in an area where you still have at least 50% signal strength to your router when you place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used.

For ALL configurations you should have between 2-3 bars of signal at the very least. If you have less signals you will need to move the RE1000 closer to the router. You can also check the status on the status page of the RE1000 as well. On the status page we measure both Signal Strength and Signal Quality. If either set of bars is red you must move the RE1000 closer to the Router.

Keybounce

This is a serious problem then.

The box says "B/G/WiFi/N certified". The box says 2.4 GHz Band. The box nowhere mentions MIMO.

System requirements say "Existing b/g/n wireless router or access point"

Beyond that, the SSID and security mode do match.

As for the "Extender address" that you highlight, I'm trying to set here the address that I want the extender to have, NOT the address of my router. The router is 192.168.1.1, and I want to not have any duplicate IP addresses running around. I think it is _very_ bad form for the Linksys brand extender to default to the same IP as Linksys brand routers or access points, as that's asking for trouble.

> Remember that in order to get the best performance from an RE1000 you need to place the Extender in an area where you still have at least 50% signal strength to your router when you place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used.

And this is part of my problem. My laptop, which is currently paired with a router to do the same job that I want the extender to do (again: It works, but it's too slow for streaming video, and too difficult/cumbersome to use the laptop in the window), currently gets 2 bars while the extender gets one bar. If I move it outside (extension cord), the laptop gets three bars (all out of 4) while the extender still gets one -- and I cannot keep either outside because of rain. (This was just for testing).

I need an ethernet port; the G only extender has none.

So what am I left to do? Return this? Hack something with the G extender, an ethernet cord running across the room (trip!), and the laptop and wired device both slowed as a result?

peanuts

Well for the manual configuration of RE1000 first of all connect the Range Extender with the router then check the IP address of the RE1000 in the dhcp client table of the router for that here are the steps:

# Open up the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 that will open up the router setup page.

# Click the status tab then the local network sub-tab.  Click the DHCP Client Table button under the DHCP Server section.  This should bring up a list of clients that are currently connected to your network.

So that will show up the RE1000 as well in that list.

Once you get the IP address of the RE1000 do the following steps:

# Open up the browser again and on the address bar type “IP address of the RE1000” that will open up the Range Extender setup page.

# Click on Wireless > Site Survey. There you will be able to see the wireless network name that you have created in the router setup. Select that network name and click on connect.

# Provide the wireless password that you have created for the wireless network. Then click on Save settings.

Automatically it will take you to the WLAN Statistics tab where it will show all the details of the wireless connection. Then disconnect the Range Extender from the router and place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used and then check the signal strength. Probably it will show up good signal strength.

But if you want to configure the RE1000 using the setup CD here is the link:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=24369&userrole=Links...

Keybounce

# Open up the browser again and on the address bar type “IP address of the RE1000” that will open up the Range Extender setup page.

# Click on Wireless > Site Survey. There you will be able to see the wireless network name that you have created in the router setup. Select that network name and click on connect.

# Provide the wireless password that you have created for the wireless network. Then click on Save settings.

Automatically it will take you to the WLAN Statistics tab where it will show all the details of the wireless connection. Then disconnect the Range Extender from the router and place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used and then check the signal strength. Probably it will show up good signal strength.

The problem is, when I did that -- connected to the router, did a site survey, connected to the target -- it never got more than 1 bar of signal strength.

I cannot use the setup CD. I have a 10.5.8 PPC mac. The setup application requires 10.5.8 Intel mac.

peanuts

Now, finally what we are waiting for is that your RE1000 must stay connected to your WRT54G router, and as far as wireless signals are concerned, you dont need to worry about it as it is somewhat different to what we understand as it is just an assessment of speed and throughput and really has no bearing on the internet speed. The real test here is to actually do a speed test or a download. An 802.11n adapter with even 1 bar of signal is probably still faster than your ISP connection. The other key to look for is the speed that we are connected at. For example, my laptop is connected to N-Router. If I am 10 feet away from my router, I get 3 signal bars. To a layman you would think what is that all about since I am only 10 feet away, but when I check the speed I am connected at it shows that I’m connected at 450 megabits per second. If I walk away another 15 feet suddenly my signal jumps back up to maximum bars... but if I look closer my connection speed has dropped to 270 megabits per second. The reason for this is because the Adapter and the Router will try their best to stay connected at the fastest possible speed. This may result in user seeing less signal bars, however the signal and speed are still very fast. In this case what really matters is the connection speed between the adapter and the router.

Keybounce

Alright.

The laptop gets a little under 100 KB/sec (about 95 to 99 KB/sec). That's about half the internet speed (1.5 Mbps)

The range extender never saw faster than about 45 KB, usually never faster than 30 KB, and most of the time simply never connected. Connections were occasional, and did not persist.

If you have any ideas, let me know; otherwise, right now it's packed back up, and I'm heading back to best buy to return it in two days.

yourawesomeness

How about replacing your router with an N router so you'll get the speed you want.. since N works best with N devices..

Audere est facere
Keybounce

Replacing the router is not an option, sadly.

I've got G and N devices over here, currently in G only mode.

There's a G router over there, and the only thing I'm permitted to do is about once every two weeks, when the ISP times out, is "release/renew" to reconnect.

If the box says that a G router is OK, then a G router should be OK.

If it says B/G/N, then I want to use G and N.

Bottom line seems to be that the antenna strength is just not good enough.

oliversl

Thanks for the info.

I noted that the antenna strength is not good enough for wifi-g. Can you move the WRT54G? Or put a new and cheap linksys more near the RE1000?

HTH
Oliver

"Bottom line seems to be that the antenna strength is just not good enough."
http://tinymailto.com/oliversl --> My e-mail after a captcha