Cat-66
Accepted Solution

RE1000 Signal Strength Question

I recently purchased and installed an RE1000 to go with my Wireless-N E1200 router to improve the wireless signal strength in my large apartment.  It works just fine so my question is more curiosity than problem.  I'm somewhat new to wireless networking though I have an extensive background in Ethernet networks. 

So here's my 'issue':  I've loaded Wi-Fi Analytics on my Android phone and Kindle Fire to check the strength of the signal and help me with placement of the router and RE1000 extender.  It worked like a charm but I noticed something rather peculiar about the signal graph for the RE1000 -- it spikes wildly but consistently from about -70 dBm to about -45 dBm.   Occasionally it drops all the way down to -80 or -85 dBm.  The signal graph for the E1200 itself is "normal" looking.   I'm running the E1200/RE1000 on channel 2 to avoid the traffic  from multiple wireless APs in my apartment building.  I have an excellent broadband connection (Time Warner with TurboBoost) that does not fluctuate in the same manner.  

The signal fluctuation does not appear to impact my connectivity on any devices.  Is this normal?  Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

jaymay

Re: RE1000 Signal Strength Question

I think it is normal because of the other wireless networks on your apartment. Though you're using a different, they may interfere still with your signal thus the reason for the signal fluctuation. But if it's not affecting your connectivity at all then no need to worry about that signal fluctuation. :smileywink:

Cat-66

Re: RE1000 Signal Strength Question

Thanks very much for the reply.  I haven't had any connectivity problem so assume your assessment is probably right.  Thanks again for the help.