Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
delugeia

RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender - Experience?

I am looking to purchase a RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender and wonder if anyone has had any experience with them?

If you have any advice, I'd be grateful. I am planning on using it with a E4200 Dual-Band N Router. I have an unattached garage that is used for playing games, etc. and the wireless signal doesn't quite reach the interior. Currently I have a bridge set up from nearest window to nearest window.

Any advice, experience, thoughts good or bad, would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-- Jeff

castor

Re: RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender - Experience?

Well yes RE1000 recently lounged by cisco in the market , and as per as cisco it works well enough with the wireless N Technology router..

It will allmost double the wireless range that you are getting from the router.

TheExoticFish

Purchased one today to try out. I'm not too sure about it yet. It seems as if devices connected to it suffer from speed issues (download/uploads are slow). Still working on checking settings and all and even attempting to get some help from chat support. I have it running off of an E4200.

TheExoticFish

So far I don't think I'm too impressed with this unit. It definently doesn't double the coverage. I have my E4200 router on the front of my home and in the second room from the end. I placed my RE1000 on the back side of my home more toward the opposit side of the house (In the sunroom) and it doesn't seem to provide any more coverage to my backyard then the E4200 does by itself.

bizlift

RE1000 worked great for a few days.  It extended range significantly for us.  However it locked up after a few days of use.  The only way to get it back online was to power cycle.  

Contacted cisco support and they said no firmware upgrade available and that it was probably caused by interference from other nearby devices on 2.4Ghz.  But there are none.  And I dont see how a reboot would fix external interference, wouldn't the interference still be there after the reboot?

In my opnion not reliable enough and no ETA on firmware update yet.  I'm looking for a different extender if anyone has an recommendations.

TheExoticFish

Well this forum is scared to let me suggest another brand so feel free to PM me about it.

njweb

My RE1000 provides a great signal in distant locations (relative to my E4200 wireless router's location) where my E4200's signal can't compete, so it at a minimum has met my expectations in that sense.

I now just need to confirm that my wireless-enabled  devices will automatically switch to the stronger of the two duplicate SSID's that I now have since installing the extender (two evenings ago, so I have yet to confirm how (well) my wireless devices will pick / switch to the stronger of the two duplicate SSID's.

jubrand

I'm not too impressed with it. It seems to be causing problems with my laptop and ipad getting their automatic IP addresses, and Cisco has no idea how to fix it.  I was on the phone with them for an hour doing useless things like changing the channel of my main router. 

I think the signal strengh improved somewhat, but it seems spotty.  I can be right next to it and not have full bars sometimes.  Plus, it's difficult to tell if it's actually working.  The light goes on, but who knows if you're actually getting the higher signal, since you can't just see the box on your network all the time.  

jamsac

Just got it today and put it in the system. It seems to have extended the range but now it is slower than a 14.4 dial up connection.

Keybounce

My experience so far: It appears to have really bad antennas, and cannot get a good signal from the router.

I'm attempting to use it with a G router. I was hoping for the equivalent of a transparent network bridge, giving me an N/G mixed network in this building, connecting to a G router in that building. Fail. Other thread seems to imply that it is only designed to work with N routers, despite what the box says about a B, G, or N router.