markemerson

Re: RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender - Experience?

I am currently using a Linksys E4200    I purchased the E4200 when my old reliable Linksys router died after three years of flawless service.

My old router had the early version of MIMO technology, and Three Antennas attached to it.  It gave me a strong signal in every room of our building.

The new E4200 has half the signal strength of the old router.  I purchased an RE1000 to boost the signal, and have had countless problems keeping the two in sync ever since.

I've spoken with Cisco tech representatives on the phone, and in on-line chat sessions.  Each rep has a different answer... each rep swears it will work...    But the one thing I can count on is the RE1000 losing it's connection... failing... and my having to spend hours on-line or on the phone with a tech rep, who walks me through a series of reconfigurations that seem to work for a while.  A few days, or a few hours after everything seems to be working allright, the whole thing comes crashing down, and I'm back to square one.

Honestly....  I am sick of this.    I no longer have faith in Linksys Reps, or the Cisco product line.  I feel like I've wasted hundreds of dollars, and countless hours on a product that is never going to be reliable.

tom123321

RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender - Not a Good Unit

[ Edited ]

I have a Cisco Router and works nicely.

But then I purchased an RE 1000 and spent three days trying to get this unit to work with tech support doing just about everything.  It did not work and had trouble with my Router when the wireless phones connected--IP conflicts, Internet disconnected, and then I'd have to reboot and unplug everything.

I even exchanged the RE1000 at the store but that did not work either.

So my experience was not good, and I'm returning the unit to the store.  Perhaps I'll give a Belkin extender a try.

artmcbeth

I just bought a refurbished Re1000. I also bought a refurbished E2000 router. Using the CD provided I was unable to install the Re1000.

I then took my lsptop to the room containing my router. The RE1000 was in an outlet about 10 feet from the router. The CD program could not find the E1000. I then tried wiring it into my laptop and into the router. I could never get into the RE1000 to change the settings manually. Using my browser and inputting 192.168.1.1 always took me into the E2000.

I then left the RE1000 plugged into a wall outlet and  went to another computer on the same floor. I then was able to get into the RE1000 and set it up with a SSid the same as the router. Everthing seem to work fine. I took the RE1000 to a downstairs room and when I fired up my laptop I did indeed have a much better signal.

I then tried a speed test and my download speed was 2.18 and upload was 5.7. I took the RE1000 out of the outlet and my download speed increased to 9.83, and upload to 6.1. What is happening here? Is my RE1000 faulty?

rtywonia

I just hooked this up - very easy and extended my range dramatically.  My IP phone seems to work great now walking around the house.  How do I check if thruput is affected.  It does not seem to be affected.

artmcbeth

Mark,

I also had a RE1000. I must have spent 10 hours trying to solve my troubles. My experience was different than yours. I have a E2000 router that I worked from day one. The pairing of the Re1000 went well and I had a excellent signal in a down stairs room. However, I notice a slowness even though the signal strength was excellent. When I tried a speed test I was getting a download speed in the twos. If I pulled the RE1000 out of the network my download speed shot to 11+. I changed the channel to 11 and I went up a little bit. My upload was fine with or without the RE1000.

I asked for another RE1000, but my request was denied. I returned the RE1000 and bought an extender from a competitor for $28 and I'm getting a download speed over 8 Mbit/sec (four times the speed). I have had no hiccups at all.

I don't want to say what company because my E2000 works extremely well and the Cisco service was great.

artmcbeth

Go to speedtest.net.

01corrpa

So far the RE1000 is crap. It only works a few hours at a time then drops the connection and sends all of my wireless devices into a frenzy. Drives me nuts. I'm awaiting a solution to my issues on this forum but no responses yet.

pongkiat

It cann't change Frequency channel (default is channel 1) and not a stable/reliable product.

Jim@TheChristians.tv

I have mine set up with duplicate ssid and pas key and everything does shift to the strongest signal. I have run tests with the RE1000 both on and off and found that everything takes the strongest of what is available. I have complete coverage all through the house and outside.

I also use an Arystone Hub which gives me up to one half mile of coverage but it has a huge disadvantage as you can not hide the ssid broadcast. With the RE1000 you can keep your network hidden. Just one more step for good security.

01corrpa

Hiding the SSID broadcast is not a security measure. When you hide the SSID, your computer or other wireless device will "shout out" your SSID everytime they try to connect, defeating the purpose of hiding the SSID. Your wireless devices will do the exact same thing anywhere you go, even out of range of your network.

Best security is to not hide your SSID, use WPA2/AES and a strong passkey.