jubrand

RE1000 and Problems with Automatic IP Address

I just installed an RE1000 and it seems to work fine with all my devices (laptops, Tivo, ipods, ipad, PS3, Wii and Toshiba laptop).  However, my Sony Vaio is giving me issues.  When it tries to connect to wifi (either to the regular router if I'm right next to it, or to the RE1000 if I'm nearer to it), it won't get an IP address. I have to make a static one to get it to work. 

Anyone else had this issue?  Any ideas for solving it?  I don't want to leave a static IP address on the VAIO b/c then it doesn't work in public wifi spots.  Thanks!

Ricewind

Re: RE1000 and Problems with Automatic IP Address

Which windows you are running in your VAIO laptop… You can try to change the Wireless Security mode in the Router as well as in RE1000… You can refer to this link for changing Security Mode

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=24344&userrole=Links...

Secondly you can try to upgrade the drivers of the wireless card of your VAIO laptop…

You can follow the steps for upgrading the drivers:

# Click on Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt type "devmgmt.msc" and click Ok...

# Device manager window will appear and in that check for the Wireless adapter.. Right-click on the name of the Adapter that you want to install and click Update Driver Software…

# A window will appear asking “How do you want to search for the driver software?".. Click “Install the software Automatically"..

# Then click on next button...

jubrand

Software is updated.  I don't really want to change the security on the router b/c then I have to reenter it on about 20 different things.  Is this a known issue with this thing?  It actually started acting up with my ipad today, so I finally just unplugged it and now everything is fine.  It's definitely something to do with the RE1000

Any other ideas?

yourawesomeness

Hey,

Just want to ask, are you still getting the same issue with the RE1000? What's the model number of your router?

Audere est facere
kparkerpolito

Experiencing the same issue on the RE1000 recently installed into my father's home...network connectivity issues through RE1000 and 4200 Router...when RE1000 is removed no issues with connectivity...any solutions to this issue?

gnwest

I'm having the same connectivity issues. My laptops and cell phones can't pull an IP from my E4200 with my RE1000 in the path.  When the RE1000 is removed all is well.  All my devices have their latest software/firmware.

gnwest

I just remembered my E4200 is setup with a MAC addr filter permit list.  I disabled MAc addr filtering and my devices can now pull IPs from the E4200 when they are associated with my RE1000.

gnwest

I had the same issue, re: had to disable MAC addr filtering on my E4200 in order for devices making an association with my RE1000 to pull an IP from the E4200's DHCP server side, via the devices "virtual" MAC assigned from the RE1000.  However, I did notice the following. The virtual MAC contains the MAC vendor ID of the RE1000 and the host portion ID of the device making the association with the RE1000.  For example, my RE1000 has the MAC address 58:6D:8F:72:65:9A.  My cell phone has the MAC addr 6A:A7:69:7E:98:6E.  The MAC shown in my E4200 of my cell phone is 58:6D:8F:7E:98:6E.  My E4200 also has the MAC 6A:A7:69:7E:98:6E for when my cell phone associates directly with it.  Knowing this I can still do MAC addr filtering on my E4200 however, each device will have to have 2 entires.  At some point this gets unmanageable.

stefanu

I have noticed exactly the same behavior while trying to understand why my DHCP reservations do not work and the same device gets 2 different MACs, and obviously one IP address which it is not supposed to get.

With MAC filtering it's weird, but manageable up to some point; with DHCP reservations it just does not. and DHCP reservations just get unusable. There is no reference to this in the manuals, or I must be blind... Maybe I would have thought twice before buying it.

Besides moving to static IP addresses on the device, is there ant workaround to this ?
Jake_2.0

Hi, which device were you having the problem, is it the router or the range extender?  If it is the router, then perhaps you can check if there’s a new firmware available for that router then reset the router after upgrading the firmware.