kymillie
Accepted Solution

RE1000 asks for username and password

I have the RE1000 installed as extender for my WRT110 router. I was told by Linksys live chat tech that this would be suitable for our home network. When in the family room or on patio (where I have weak WiFi usually), the Extender shows on my iPad in the list of available WIFI and has excellent icon (the router usually has one or two bars and goes in and out).

When I try to access the Extender on my iPad, it asks for username and password but will not take it. Should I run setup again or what? 

kymillie

Re: RE1000 asks for username and password

P.S. I am using Windows XP SP3

jaymay

When you were asked for the username and password, is it asking you to login to the RE1000's page? The username is blank and password is admin. Are you trying to change some settings of the extender that's why you're accessing the page?

kymillie

I thought it was asking for username and password to my secured router, but I just tried admin and it connected me to the linksys website set-up.  Do I have to do something there in order to always use THAT wifi spot when I am not close to the router? The extender has a stronger signal, of course, than the router which is in another room.

jaymay

I think there's no need for you to do anything for you to always use the RE1000 connection. The RE1000's wireless network is the same as your wireless router's network. As you move around the house, you should stay connected to the same network.

kymillie

I do stay connected (most of the time) but the Extender's signal is stronger in the family room. It shows as a separate WIFI available and seems like I should go THROUGH it. I frankly can see very little improvement in reception. Fortunately, I have a 30 day return guarantee. Perhaps I should return it and just get another "stronger" router... i.e., more expensive.

opheliaimmortal23

Hi there. You did set on the RE the same settings you have on your WRT110 router, right? How about changing the channel first or updating the firmware before your try to buy a new device?

kymillie

I think the firmware is up to date because I think it asked to update it during set-up. Perhaps I will try changing the channel and see what happens.. Thanks

kymillie

Ok. I cannot find where to change the channel. Is that in Advance Settings, Route Entries? It is set at 1 but the drop down list has a lot more. What should I change it to, if this is the right place.. DUH.....

hillary681

[ Edited ]

in setting up the range extender, it will give you the option to connect to your network. so essentially, you will not have to define/ specify the settings manually. the purpose of the range extender is to extend the signal of the main network, not create a separate network of its own.

i suggest that you RESET the range extender and run the setup wizard again. make sure to connect the device to your network. once the devices have synced up, you will be able to fully utilize this device.