Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bluehighways

RE1000 connection keeps dropping

I'm pretty bad at all of this - muddle through but painfully so I need some help, please.  I have a Cisco Valet Plus Router wired to my computer in the house.  I have a HP computer with internal wireless in the studio which is in another buildng (I set this all up beofre using a WRET54g so I know it will work)  Got the RE1000 up and running.

Two problems:  My router name is BlueDog.  Now I have BlueDog and BlueDog2 on my list of available wirless connections in the stuiod.  I have excellent strentgtht but then it drops and I have no internet access.  I can only connect to BlueDog2 in the studio - BlueDog one won't let me connect even though it says it has excellent strenght as well.

I'm not sure where to start trying to figure this out.  Wheh I look at the DHCP Client Table, the Range Expander isnamed RE1000 not BlueDog - should the Client Name be the same as the SSID?

Tell me where to start on this, please.  I'm really confused.  Thank you.

I

bluehighways

Re: RE1000 connection keeps dropping

Something else:  BlueDog 2 and BlueDog will both have "excellent strenght" then BlueDog2 's strenght goes to poor but BlueDog is excellent.  Then the conneciton drops to BlueDog2 ... if I try to connect to BlueDog, it will only connect to BD2 which again, at this point, has an excellent conneciton.  The cisco logo starts blinking when I'm about to lose the conneciton. 

quack

Let me know the model number of the Cisco Valet Plus Router? If you disconnect the RE1000 from the Network and try to connect the preferred Network (BlueDog) from the Router does it connect? If yes then connect the RE1000 from the Router and check the DHCP client table it will show the RE1000 IP address and then configure the RE1000 again… Here is the link for the configuration of the RE1000…

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=3760&userrole=Linksy...

Wireless settings in RE1000 will be same as router… In order to get the best performance from an RE1000 you need to place the extender in an area where you still have at least 50% signal strength to your router when you place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used. Once after the configuration of the RE1000 try to connect the wireless laptop and check the connectivity…

Secondly in the DHCP client table the client name shows up with the Device name and not the Wireless Network Name…

LinksysGeek

Nice reply...

Kashif Khan
bluehighways

Thank you ... my router is Cisco Valet M20 ....  will try all you suggest.  I appreciate you taking the time.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

bluehighways

Without the Range Extender I was able to connect to the network with "poor"  strength.  Followed your great instructions and was able to configure the RE ... placed it and had Excellent STrength .. was very excited.  One thing I don't understand is why my strength changes from Excellent to Poor and nothing else has changed.  Thank you for your help.

kawal

try different channels on your connection, see which one gives off the better signal with the less interference. also experiment on different expender locations.

sbs.smith

I am having similar problem where RE1000 drops out. I have a wireless net, WRT310N and have two RE1000 installed.

The show up on the DHCP Client table with separate IP address.

When I go to the url page for the RE1000 site survey they show two "Wireless Net". When I try to connect it always goes to "connecting" but then says "Failed Authorization". If I refresh, it shows "Associated". I do not understand what the site survey is depicting.

Finally, the real difficult issue is that I have two IPAD2s and they will not connect to the extenders. If I take the IPAD near the main wireless rounter, it will connect and work fine. If I take the IPAD to an area where the extender is working, it will show a signal then drop it and will not connect. ( A PC Laptop shows strong signal and works fine in same location).  I contacted Linksys Live Chat Support and they said, "sounds like an Apple problem, we can't helpl"!

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

fltactical

I am having this same problem... I have great signal and no matter where I place the extender, anyone on the extender has good signal and strength then it suddenly drops the internet (still shows good signal strength). Then it starts back up again after a minute or 2. No idea why. No extender and no problem. Using an E1000 as the router. Upgraded setup software, reset the extender, reattached to the network. Same problem (version 1.0.1)

chrisouellette

I have the same problem as well. I did the initial setup on the RE1000 and everything is working fine. However, after the initial success, the internet consistently drops and I am unable to re-connect. On my mac, I need to turn off the Airport Wireless and turn it back on. This occasionally fixes the problem.

What fixes the problem every time? Unplugging the RE1000 and connecting as I have before. Someone please help!

-Chris