Re: RE1000 connection keeps dropping

HI

I have to join the choir.

When I initially set up the RE1000 it probably worked for som hours, but now I have to restart it all the time to get access for a few minutes. 

I have tried to set et up a couple of times and I have also set it up manually using hte web-interface.

Connecting directely to my router is no problem.

I really think Cisco/Linksys should fix this problem.

Yesterday, I just bought this product.

I'm using manual setup cause I'm only have Ubuntu Laptop.

I can see my WRT54GL in SiteSurvey and after I click connect, RE1000 try to connecting for a while and then dropping.

I try this several times and never get the successful connection.

I am having the same problem. I have the linksys 4200 and it worked great until I installed the RE1000. The signal keeps dropping and reconnecting constantly. If i unplug the RE1000 everything works fine. I need the RE1000 for a better signal on the other side of my house. I was hoping that there would be a fix for this but i do not see a post from Cisco. It has got to be a simple fix, so Cisco please post the fix!!!!!

[ Edited ]

I was having the same issue but finally got it resolved I think by configuring the RE1000 manually instead of letting that horrible CD mess everything up.  It's been up for almost 7 hours now without a signal disconnect.  I will list a few things I dd to get it working.  Not sure which of the two fixed it as I fixed different aspects.  As the rest of you are describing I was getting very inconsistent results and it would disconnect regularly. I believe part of this was due to the fact that the basic setup wizard doesn't assign a static IP to the RE1000 and let's DHCP assign it whatever random IP in your allowed range it can find.  This causes issues because if the RE1000's IP is constantly changing and you already have devices connected to that either they or your main router won't work with the RE1000 correctly. 

First thing I dd was move my extender to an outlet very close to my router and then I logged into the router.  Not sure what the rest of you have but I have the Linksys E1550 and my IP for it is set to 192.168.1.1.  Once logged in I went to the main setup page and under the DHCP Settings clicked on the DHCP Reservation button.  Here I looked at the DHCP clients table which should all devices connected to your network and somewhere if you have it plugged in you should see your RE1000 wireless extender.  Copy and paste the MAC address of this device and manually add it to the DHCP Reservation list.  I would call it "RE1000" and make it's reserved IP 192.168.1.101.  Most likely your IP range is somewhere between 192.168.1.100 to 109 or 192.168.1.100 to 114, etc. depending on how many allowed IP's you are handing out.  Thus your first IP would be 192.168.1.101 which is why I have manually reserved that for the wireless extender.  This will ensure that everytime that device turns on and joins the network it will get that IP.  No longer will the IP switch and causes devices connected to it to drop periodically. This is only the first part though, now we must go into the extender manually and configure the wireless.

For the second part you will now need to access the extender by typing it's new IP of 192.168.1.101 into your browser (if it doesn't work right away reboot or unplug the device and wait for it to join with the new IP based on it's MAC address).  Also you will need to know what your usernames and passwords are for your router and extender.  By default the extender is "admin" and "admin".  Once logged in under the setup tab keep the name RE1000 and click the dropdown menu and select Static IP.  Make sure i has the same configuration as what you setup in your router (192.168.1.101 and 255.255.255.0 most likely for your subnet and 192.168.1.1 most likely for your gateway).  Save settings and once saved click on the wireless tab.  

Once at the wireless tab it should provide you with a wireless site survey.  Select the radio button for your router's wireless AP, you should recognize the SSID name.  Once selected click the connect button. A pop-up will come up asking for the WPA passphrase or WEP key you setup in your router.  Enter this information in and save settings.  You can confirm and/or change any necessary settings also at the wireless tab under basic settings.  I would go to the wireless tab and also make sure it is set to manual settings and confirm everything looks accurate such as SSID, radio band, security mode, passphrase, etc.

You can change the RE1000's password from "admin" to whatever you would like at the administration tab if you prefer.  The last thing I would do is go to the status tab and click on it then the submenu of WLAN statistics.  This will show you if you are connecting and working correctly or not and for how long.  I would leave this page up for 24 hour or so and refresh periodically to see if it is still connected and how long it has been. Under status it should say "Associated".  If it sas "failed authorization" wait a minute or two and refresh and it most likely will work, if it never changes from that though then I guess you are back to square one.

One thing I did do after moving my extender to a further outlet after reconfiguring was I placed it a bit close to my router this time instead of closer to the space I need the extra wifi in.  The signal didn't drop much in this new area but seemed to work just as well and had an extra bar than what it had before on the signal.  I am sure the network configuration changes is what remedied the issue for me but I thought I should mention I did change my location of the RE1000 as well.  Good luck everyone.

I've tried this and it seemed to work for a couple of days, until this morning. The internet connection was dropped at least 4 times in a few hours time. Don't know anymore what to do. I turned on the log of the repeater and sometimes I see the following messages:

[15] syslog: [INFO]WL_STA_AUTHO fail, f=601b
[16] syslog: [INFO]Connect to LinksysBCD409 successfully
[18] syslog: [INFO]IP:192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0 Gateway:192.168.1.1

Don't know what this means, but looks like something fails (authorisation of the RE1000?) and then it reconnects to the router again. Anyone has any suggestion?

Hi all, i have the same issue, tried upgrading the firmware tonight on both my e2500 and the RE1000, honestly it seems like the RE1000 dropping out is worse now than before. Have it config'd for Static IP as well. Only thing that seems to get me back in business for a little while is rebooting the extender as well. Tonight alone it dropped about 10 times in the matter of 20 minutes. Keep seeing the same type of messages in the logs as Jacques:

[9] syslog: [INFO]Device 00:0F:8F:5E:5E:89 connected to Ethernet interface.

[14] syslog: [INFO]WL_STA_AUTHO fail, f=6019
[16] syslog: [INFO]Connect to WLAN successfully

[18] syslog: [INFO]IP:192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 Gateway:192.168.1.1

I also see the it is restarting services alot after being unable to contact the gateway by ping for 30 secs, im using it as an extender and bridge, luckily since i have a cisco 2940 as my bridging switch i can see when it drops.

Comon Cisco lets get this fixed!!!

[ Edited ]

Over the years I have used many networking products, wired or wireless, be it Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Aztech. Among all these brands, I trusted Linksys the most. It's the most reliable out of all the brands I have tried, not until today. Because no matter how bad the networking products are, they never push me to the stage to smash it into pieces, and Linksys RE1000 is the only one.

One day it's working without any problem, the next day it keep disconnecting or can't connect at all. One hour it's working fine, the next minute it's disconnecting for more than 10 times (I lost count). The catch is, the settings are the same! Don't waste your money, time on this so called wireless expander/repeater. It's pointless, hopeless, useless. Bear in mind I am using a Linksys router, so there shouldn't be any compatible issue.

(Mod Note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

I have used the re 1000 for about ½ year without problems. Havent changed anythng in my setup since I installed the re 1000 the first time. But now suddenly my devices start to drop their connection.Did anyone in find a permanent solution to this problem...

X3000+RE1000

Connection keeps dropping every 2,3 minutes (extender is ~5m from router)

Firmware 1.0.02

any help from cisco team?

thanks

to both bugfix and tomtom, the only solution i have found that works after the extender starts dropping is to reset the extender and my E2500, its something with the RE1000 losing connection to the router. After a certain number of pings are dropped the RE1000 will restart its wireless services. Problem is that doesnt help at all since it just keeps happening every few minutes until both a unplugged and restarted. If i go downstairs though even while the RE1000 is dropping my E2500 is working fine on the main wireless connection, only the extenders signal and connection seems to be an issue. Upgrading the latest firmware didnt help if anything its actually worse. Originally i thought it was based on time when it would start doing this, but it seems to be more tired to usage. The more i use the extender for the connectivity the sooner it drops out. I just reboot it once a week now and seems to band-aid the problem until something is done. Terrible job by Cisco in this since they havent even responded once to this thread yet.