RE1000user

Re: RE1000 connection keeps dropping

I too am disappointed with this product and even more so with Linksys's customer support. First of all the packaging of this product does not at all make it clear that there is further configuration to be done after the initial setup with the installation CD is completed. I was unaware that the extender needed to be "associated" with my router after the initial setup, therefore I simply plugged it in and assumed it was working.

A few months later when I started to question how effective the extender really was, I got curious and discovered the additional documentation included on the setup CD. After then going through the steps to properly configure it with my router, I then discovered the problem of the dropped connections that this thread is about. By this time however, Linksys won't help me unless I hand over an additional $40 for extended tech support. Needless to say, I'm quite angry at Linksys's poor product support and customer relation management. I've owned a WRT54GS prior to the E1500 I currently own. I think it's safe to say these, and the RE1000 will be the last Linksys products I ever buy.

magyarmedve

After experimenting, reading articles and posts (including on this forum) I think I have come up with a way to make the RE1000 work properly (ie. not dropping).

I believe this is a bunch of misinformation written about this problem. I gather from what I read CISCO/LINKSYS has been of little help. I also concluded that using the CD which is shipped with the product often does not result in a successful installation.

I installed the RE1000 to work with a CISCO EPC3925 cable modem/router. This is common in Europe and is used by UPC. This router primarily uses  802.11n protocol, but will also work with 802.11 b/g equipment. The RE1000 is also a "N" network extender. CISCO claims it will work with "B" and "G" networks as well. There are claims on the 'web' that this is a false and misleading claim. I cannot judge this.

I am using a Windows based laptop, running WIN XP SP3.

First, I decided to use several tools to help in my experimentation and I recommend them

1. A good WiFi configuration tool for the PC. I am using a tool provided by HAMA. Others are available. Good means it will display all access points with the same SSID. Windows network configuration tools do not do this.  This is important since the RE1000 uses the same SSID as the network you are trying to extend. The second feature I recommend in a configuration tool is that it reports the MAC ADDRESS of the wireless access point it connects to. Since the SSID of your network and "extended network" are the same, this is handy to distinguish if you are connected to the RE1000 directly or to your router.

2. If you have a smartphone, get WIFI ANALYZER. I use an Android. I do not know if this is available on other Smart Phone platforms. It is a very handy tool which graphically displays all available networks and their signal strengths.

3. A PING program (In windows simply use a command window - cmd ).

There are a lot of claims that it is necessary to configure your Router or RE1000 to use a static IP address. I found this not to be true,but believe while not necessary, it is desirable. To be able to use this type of configuration you router's firmware must have the ability to link a MAC address to a fixed IP address. (Typically this can be done in the "LAN setup" when accessing the DHCP Client table).

It is not advisable to configure the RE1000 to use a FIXED IP ADDRESS if your router is configured to use DHCP. This option is only needed if your entire network uses Static or Fixed IP addressing.  If you have setup your router to link a given MAC address to a fixed IP address (see above) then this is setup in the router ONLY.

Things you will need beforehand.

Your SSID and Security Protocol, including passphrase, etc.

The MAC address of the RE1000. You can get this by logging into the RE1000 setup page and checking the Status Page.

The MAC address of your router

I believe the connection dropping issue is related to conflicts between most router default networks (with gateway 192.168.1.1) and the RE1000 having the same default gateway.  This conflict along with the same SSID for the RE1000 generated "network" and the router causes a lot of confusion for the firmware and hardware. In addition, I think the security and encryption protocol must match exactly but I have no firm data.

Here is my solution.

1. Copy down or make screen shots of all your router's NON default settings. If you can, save the router's configuration to a file (not all router's have this option).

2. Reset your router and the RE1000 to factory default settings.

3. Configure your router. Connect the router to your PC using a CAT-5 cable. Do not rely on a wifi for the setup.

a) Change the default network from 192.168.1.1 to something else. I used 192.168.101.1 as my gateway, and assigned 192.168.101.2 as my starting IP address.  I chose Up to 20 connections. I disabled wireless (and wired) MAC Filtering (this is important)

b) The security method you choose must be available in the RE1000's firmware. THIS SEEMS TO BE VERY IMPORTANT. I mean it must be identical. Even though your router might support AES+TKIP encryption and WPA/WPA2-Personal (mixed mode), the RE1000 does not.  I chose AES and WPA2-Personal.  I did not experiment with WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. It may work, but I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

If you have trouble with security, you can for debugging purposes disable security on both the RE1000 and your router. This leaves you very vulnerable so do this ONLY for a short time and only if you have to debug something.

c) Reboot your router and see if your PC can connect. Open a browser and see if you can surf the web.

d) Browse to your gateway (192.168.101.1 in this example) and see if you can access the setup pages for your router.

e) Open up a windows (DOS) command line window.

Issue the following command:

ping -n 10000 192.168.101.1

This will ping the router gateway 10,000 times.  Use this window as a monitor for connectivity to the router.

4. Configure the RE1000 manually.

a) Reset the RE1000 to factory defaults using the recessed  button on the back of the unit.

b) Use a CAT-5 cable to connect to the RE1000.  Your NETWORK CONFIGURATION Control Panel tool will allow you to see this connection. Please do not be followed. The assigned IP address  may not be the IP address you will need to enter into your browser to access the setup pages.  To get this address, log into your ROUTER's setup page and navigate to where your can get to see the DHCP assignments.  Make note of the DHCP assignment associated with the MAC address of the RE1000.  You will need this IP address to access the RE1000 setup page. The default 192.168.1.1 MAY work. It will NOT conflict however with the router, and this is the important point.

c) Log into the setup page of the RE1000.

d) Navigate to the BASIC WIRELESS SETUP tab and choose MANUAL setup. Enter the SSID, the security protocol (ie. WPA2 Personal) and the passkey. Note, there is no place to enter the encryption type. The RE1000 apparently does not support TKIP (or TKIP+AES ---> I discover this using my WiFI configuration tool, see above). 

e) On the status page double check the IP address and the gateway.  The default gateway will be the same as the router's.

f) set up ANOTHER command window and ping -n 10000 <the address of the RE1000>

5. Next,  unplug the router and the RE1000.  Wait 5 seconds and plug them back in. Wait about one minute.

6. Watch the two command line windows. If either returns to the command line prompt, reissue the commands. Use the smart phone utility to monitor the WiFi signals. You should see TWO with the same SSID.

7. Disconnect all CAT-5 (wired) connections from your PC.

8. Use your alternative Windows WiFi connection utility to connect to the router using WIFI.  Using the MAC address of the router, verify you are connected to the router. See if you can surf the web.

9. Using the same utility, WiFI connect your PC to the RE1000 extender. Verify this as in the last step. See if you can surf the web. Log into the RE1000 and navigate to the status page and look at the WIRELESS CLIENT TABLE. You should see the GLOBAL MAC address and a VIRTUAL MAC address. Make note of the left most six hexadecimal digits if you wish to use WIRELESS MAC filtering.

Set up a third command line window and ping a trusted web site, say www.google.com.  Use this as your third monitor for connectivity.

10. REBOOT both the Extender and the Router.  Assuming nothing "new" is trying to access your network, the RE1000 will have the same IP address as before (but this is not guaranteed).  It will take from one to maybe THREE minutes for everything to become stable. (Use the command line windows to monitor connectivity). If you do not get connectivity to the RE1000 setup page most likely DHCP has assigned a new address to the RE1000. Log into the router and check the DHCP assignments to get the new address.

11. If you want to assign the RE1000 a fixed (static) address you can do so now. Please reread the discussion above. This is done in the ROUTER (and not the RE1000).

12. If you want to use WIRELESS MAC Filtering, please read on.

The Virtual MAC address can be calculated from the GLOBAL MAC address for the RE1000 as follows. You must have at least one device connected to the RE1000 (such as a smartphone or your laptop).  For internet connectivity through the RE1000 you will need disable MAC Filtering in your router (until you complete this task).

A. Log into the RE1000 setup screen.

B. Navigate to Statistics--->WLAN Statistics

C. Select WIRELESS CLIENT TABLE

You should see a table of GLOBAL versus VIRTUAL MAC addresses.

The most significant  24 bits of the VIRTUAL MAC addresses (the left most 6 nibbles, XX:XX:XX) is assigned by the RE1000. It will always be the same.  Please make note of these hexadecimal numbers.

The least significant 24 bits are derived from the GLOBAL MAC address of your devices.  I will designate these as YY:YY:YY

The VIRTUAL MAC address is simply:  XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY

Summary:

GLOBAL MAC ADDRESS: ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:YY:YY:YY

RE1000 derived most significant 24 bits:  XX:XX:XX

Virtual MAC Address =  XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY

cs2400

hey everyone, i recently updated to the most recent firmware which seems to have helped the issue considerably.

bullet 2 is where i believe they have corrected/improved the problem

Firmware

02/13/2012

Ver.1.0.02 (Build 1)

Download 2.92 MB

Firmware 1.0.02 (Build 1)
- Reduce DHCP lease time from 60 to 30 seconds when not associated to any AP or router.
- Fix Ping issue using Static IP mode
- Fix WPS vulnerability by enabling WPS lockdown function
magyarmedve

I recently posted a very long solution to the "connection dropping issue". I am happy to report that my connections are rock solid.

I do want to comment on the boot sequence. This is a bit tricky.

If the RE1000 is turned off (unplugged) and only the router is available the devices with simply connect to your router. Even if you later turn on the RE1000 the devices will remain connected to the router directly. You need to reconnect and possibly force your device to connect to the RE1000 when it is powered back on.

If only the RE1000 is available and your router is off, then your devices will connect to the RE1000 but since no AP (router) is available, your lease will be small (according to another post it is now 30 seconds). This is one good reason NOT to assign static IP addressing to the RE1000. You want the lease to expire quickly! When the router becomes available the RE1000 will automatically sync up (remember, I recommended the router assign a static address to the RE1000 if this is available). Any leases assigned prior to this synchronization will expire and any new DHCP connections through the RE1000 will now have router connectivity.  You just have to be patient till the router boots up and the RE1000 leases expire.

If both devices are turned on a the same time, anything can happen. It really depends on which device becomes available first. Most likely this will be the RE1000 (without connectivity to router).

My recommended boot sequence is:

1. ROUTER IS OFF

2. TURN ON RE1000 and wait about one minute

3. TURN on ROUTER

4. Wait about one or two minutes for the router to connect to the external network and be stable.

5. Wait for the RE1000 DHCP pre-router synchronization leases to expire (30 to 60 seconds) for stable connectivity though the RE1000.

magyarmedve

Update. It have been over a week and the RE1000 is working flawlessly and is stable. No dropping what so ever.

magyarmedve

Hi. Let me know if the instructions I left are helpful and accurate. If they are, please reply and list the ROUTER you are using, and any variations in how you got the RE1000 to work.

Why am I asking for this?

CISCO/LINKSYS has dropped the ball. The product is a fine product but the setup can be difficult.*

This means it is up to 'user' community to help each other and provide information. The more examples (ROUTERS) of successful configurations and how they were done will help us all.

* In an ideal world, there would be a document on the LINKSYS web site under support listing routers and setup instructions. At the very least, ALL CISCO/LINKSYS routers should be represented. Popular routers from other manufactors would also be a good candidate.

hillary681

good move magyarmedve!

this should help us better track interoperability with the RE1000. cisco may not have sent official word on such things as they expect the device to work with just about every router and AP there is. ideally it should but it looks like it does have issues working with a few models.

jumilo

I have try to  follow your instructions but I dont seem to get it working properly, maybe I did something wrong, Im not so good with setting up routers, just know the basics.

By the way Im using a linksys router 4500.

I really need to get the RE1000 working

earthmyrll120288
jumilo

Hi earthmyrll120288,

I have try does steps and my connection always drops, dont know what to do...