Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
amandris101

RE2000 Range Extender possibly bootlooping

Hello,

I purchased the RE2000 range extender last weekend. Worked well for a few days and I moved it to a new location. Plugged it in and now the green light on top blinks constantly for a about 15-25s. Then the light will go out and the ethernet light will light up for a second. Then the green light on top starts to blink again for 15-25s. Then repeat. I think it may be stuck in a bootloop and I need help cause there is no quick troubleshoot for this problem.

Also setup with the CD will not connect to the device at all.

Thanks,

Alex

amandris101

Re: RE2000 Range Extender possibly bootlooping

Oh and I have also noticed that the unit gets very hot, almost too hot to handle.

Expert
zee29

What is the model of your router? The RE2000 is designed to extend the wireless range of your main router. It acts as a repeater for the wireless signal and at the same time a wireless bridge for wired devices. From what I know with range extenders, the light will flash quickly every second or so if it has encountered an error.

How far is the range extender from your router? There might be signal obstructions between your router and your range extender.  Try transferring your range extender to another location.  Avoid placing your range extender near metal objects, masonry walls, and reflective surfaces such as mirrors. The best location to setup the range extender is the point where you are getting at least 3 signal bars with a laptop or 50-60% wireless signal strength.

I would suggest that you reset and reconfigure the range extender since it is not working at the moment and you may test it with a wired connection with a laptop to see if it is properly configured. And when you say that it is too hot, did you notice any smoke, flash or flame  coming out of the device? Be safe. Unplug the device immediately.

Check the link below for more information:

Title: Setting up the Linksys RE2000 using the Setup Wizard

Article ID: 28846

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=1f001139e53f46d28ba75cce974b1c55_Setting_up_the_Li...

amandris101

It's approx 60ft away and a one story elevation change. But I'm not having a range issue it's connecting to the unit itself. The setup program is searching and never finding the range extender. Even when wired the network is "unidentified" and I can't access it at all. Also tried another laptop in a different locations. Reset button does nothing as well.

I'm about ready to call for an RMA cause this thing isn't responding to anything I do.

luce.evening.star

Try to manually configure the RE2000 and check afterwards if it will connect properly. In this process, you would need to connect a computer to it so that you can access its setup page. Here’s a link that you can refer to for the steps: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=8fc4fe325a2049e59a45cf7de5e62e61_Setting_up_the_Ra....

amandris101

Like I already said in the post above. I have tried connecting it wired and nothing works. This piece of **bleep** will be RMA'd when their office opens monday so I can make a case number. BTW, I have my CCNA and I'm out of ideas. This thing is stuck in a bootloop and is pretty much a useless desk weight now.

Expert
zee29

The default IP address of the RE2000 is 192.168.1.1 and the username and password is “admin”. Set a static ip on a computer and wire the RE2000 to it. Turn off the wireless capability of the computer. Perform another reset and ping it again. Check and see if you will get any responses. If not, then I will go for a replacement. If you can, then configure the extender manually.

mshumeyk

I would like to add that I am experiencing exactly the same problem. I actually purchased at set up two RE2000 extenders so I could extend the range of both the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz networks of my E4200 router. I set them up 5 days ago. The 5.8ghz extender continues to work fine, but the extender repeating the 2.4ghz network developed the flashing pattern described above and stopped functioning after 24 hours. I had already tried everything suggested from resetting to trying manual setup with ethernet cable, all to no avail. I suspect Linksys will be receving more inquiries like this in the coming weeks.

davemct

Yes, here it is June 14th and I am having the same problem/issue.

The light just blinks.  I reset to factory, but no SSID is even being braodcast.  I disabled all but my laptop's wired connection, used a good cable, hand a link light, but http://192.168.1.1 will not come up.  I set my wired laptop connection to 192.168.1.101 with a 255.255.255.0 address.  It will not connect via the browser.  Cannot ping 192.168.1.1.

This thing just stopped working.  I've only had it a couple of weeks.

I have a physical wireless device finder that can find any device.  My router networks are showing, but not the Linksys RE2000.  It should say "Linksys" out of the box or when reset to factory, no?  Well nothing shows up.  I live out in the country so I do not have inteference from other's wireless networks.

How do I get this thing fixed, or did I jst lose $100 bucks?

amandris101

I have contacted and sent the unit via RMA this week, waiting for them to send me the replacement. Just call their support centre and they will open an RMA case for you. You will have to pay to ship the unit to them unfortunately.