Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MoniqueC

Range Booster, Expander, Repeater, Extender...to work with Linksys Cisco E3000...Help Please!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I NEED HELP from an EXPERT PLEASE!!!!  I will let you know in advance that I am NOT proficient in the world of computers.  So...PLEASE if you reply please speak in laymens terms and be as detailed as possible.  How sad am I...lol!  Thank you!

Here is the situation...

I have a 5 unit inn, in total there are 2 buildings beside each other. 1st building is a cottage (1200sf) and the second building contains 4 apts (each 500sf)...2 units above the 2 ground floor units.  The 2 buildings are right beside each other...about 10'-15' apart.  I am attempting to offer my guests free wireless internet during their stay.  I currently have 'Bright House Cable' internet modem and Linksys Cisco E3000 router in the cottage (1st building).  I need the wireless internet to work in the 2nd building (4 apts).  THIS IS ALL I NEED...my guests to be able to access the internet via their laptops through my wireless network

I thought I would be able to get the wireless clearly in the 2nd building with this E3000 router...not really working. Both buildings are made of cinder blocks...so I guess the signal is not as good as I hoped it to be.  I was told I need a range booster/range extender to expand the range of wireless network and to help to reach the hard-to-reach areas.  I would like to place it in 1st ground floor apartment (bottom left unit...this would make the device pretty much central of the 2 buildings).  Common sense tells me this would be the best placement for this 'extender' (whatever it is I need) to achieve my goal of ALL 4 units to have wireless internet access. 

I hope what I have described makes sense.

What do I need...name, brand, model #, that will work successfully with my Linksys Cisco E3000?

Again...please reply in laymens terms and be specific!  Something that seems it should be so simple has got me in a tailspin!  

Thank you all in advance...so very much!

brickmonkey

Re: Range Booster, Expander, Repeater, Extender...to work with Linksys Cisco E3000...Help Please!

If you want to provide Wireless Internet Connection on both the building, then you need a Access point. You can set this access point in a Repeater Mode and the computer will be able to go online wirelessly.

Model Number : WAP4410N.

MoniqueC

Re: Range Booster, Expander, Repeater, Extender...to work with Linksys Cisco E3000...Help Please!

Hi brickmonkey,

I have researched WAP4410N...sad to say I have read alot of negative reviews.  Are you sure this will work?  Is there something better that will work successfully with E3000.  Again, this will be used only for guests to access internet from the 4 apts in 2nd building.  I am hoping to avoid interruptions, such as constant rebooting of E3000 and whatever will be used to extend the wireless range...as I am not always at the location.  I assume I would place this access point in the same spot I mentioned in original post (ground floor 1st apt of 2nd building)...and just needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet.

Thanks again!

brickmonkey

WAP4410N works perfectly fine, but as you want to configure it with a Guest Access i am not sure if that will work or not. But you can create multiple networks on WAP4410N, as you have that option. So you can create multiple wireless network on the AP and let all your guest access the AP wireless network.

MoniqueC

Sorry...you'll have to forgive me, as I mentioned in my first post not proficient in this field.

Are you suggesting that I set up more than one wireless network...I currently have the one and planned on everyone using the same network with the same password.  Would wireless work better if each of the 4 units had their own network?

Again, want to confirm that AP would be best placed in 2nd building and simply plugged into an electrical outlet.

Sorry...very frustrating when you have no clue.

Thank you!

rtdelan

Have you considered the HWREN1?  It has received many great reviews.  I don't own the product but thinking about using it with my Cisco 3000.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HWREN1-Hi-Gain-Wireless-300N-Extender/dp/B001DMEYCY

MoniqueC

Hello rtdelan,

I have not considered HWREN1...again, do not know much about this stuff.  I have sent Hawking Technology an email to see if this product is indeed compatible with Linksys Cisco E3000...waiting for response. 

In the meantime, I have talked with Cisco Linksys tech support.  He told me that WHAT WILL WORK is...Cisco-Linksys WAP610N Wireless-N Access Point AND WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge.

That I am to configure both products with Linksys Cisco E3000, then I am to place the WAP610N and WET610N together in the 1st ground floor apartment (bottom left unit of 2nd building...making these devices pretty much central of the 2 buildings (as I mentioned in initial post)).  These 2 products will be connected to each other by ethernet cable and simply plugged into electrical outlet.

My understanding is...the WET610N (ethernet bridge) will connect to internet that is powered from E3000 in the cottage (1st building) and the WAP610N (access point) will inrease the wireless signal to work in the 4 apts in 2nd building.

I hope that this is it! That this IS the solution!       

FYI...the first tech I spoke to said I needed the WAP610N (access point) AND PLE300 Powerline Adaptor.  He said it is 2 adaptors...1st adaptor would be connected to router and 2nd adaptor would be connected to acess point.  Well...I searched online after and found out that PLE300 is only ONE adaptor, so I had to call back.  The 2nd tech said that I would have to get PLK300...which are 2 PLE300.  He asked why I needed...I explained the whole situation AGAIN.  Said...it may not work if electric supply lines were not the same in both buildings.  Something along those lines...anyways.  This is where the above mentioned WET610N (ethernet bridge) came in and that along with WAP610N (access point)...WILL WORK.     

Ugh...I'm exhausted!  It seems that if you are not 100% precise with what you are seeking that there are several different options for different scenarios and this makes it very confusing for those of us that are not computer savvy.  Hence, the reason for my post...in the first place!

Time will tell.

CanadianLoonie

I have the same issue. I bought a Linksys E3000 and a Access Point and my range is poor to say the least. I was told to make this work best to get a Range Extender. But which one will work with this E3000?
Enzeder

I am not a computer guru but I have persistance!  Last week I purchased a Linksys E3000 and it was great for speed but did not have a good range.  I purchased a Hawking product which turned out to be incorrect but was advised by Hawking that I needed their HWREN1 range extender.  It appeared to be a simple process to install but the range extender did not automatically get me an IP address.  I called Hawking and was told that I needed to call Linksys and change my encryption to a WPAPSK and make sure that the channel selection was not random.  It needed to be set on Channel 11.  To find this out the tech support at Hawking got me to find the information on my E3000.  I then called Linksys and spoke with someone only interested in selling me more products so hung up and called again.  Finally got someone knowledgeable and they walked me through changing my channel to 11 (on the 2.5gz only) as the Hawking only works on this speed.  We did not have the option to change the encryption to that requested but the tech guy assured me the E3000 covered all the options so it shouldn't be a problem.

I called Hawking again and explained what had happened (I was fortunate to speak with the same guy every time I called).  He was not sure whether it would work but said we would try and re-set the range extender to accept the E3000.  He had me manually enter an IP address and MAC address.  I cannot recall if he made other changes but it was immediately visible on my laptop and I was able to connect to the Hawking booster network.

The main object of my story is to say, don't give up, if you speak with the best people at Linksys and Hawking it WILL work.  I now have my Hawking plugged in at a building, away from my home, although still in the original router range and it works perfectly.  Therefore Linksys E3000 with Hawking HWREN1 works!!!

Enzeder

Linksys told me the same thing - purchase two more products at a cost of over $200!!  I believe they just want to sell more product as it is not true.  See my post - E3000 works with Hawking HWREN1 even though it took some time to speak with the correct people.

Having spent money on the E3000 I could not understand why Linksys wanted me to now purchase the WEP610N and the WAP610N - they could give me a discount and a re-furbished one at a lower price!!!!  Smells fishy and it was.

Use the two things above and you will be successful and it works really well.