Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aotearoa

WRE54G - Phony IP Address Conflict

Hi everyone, I have read a few posts regarding phony IP Address conflicts with this device but have yet to hear any solutions that work other then scrapping the device altogether. Can anyone help?

The problem is as follows
After installing the WRE54G Wireless Range Expander my Windows XP Sp2 workstation constantly raises the error
'Windows System Error - There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network'

After doing the obvious and checking the IP Addresses of every device on my network I came up with no conflicts, so I checked the system event log for the workstation that was having the problem. I came up with the following

'The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.2 with the system having network hardware address 00:12:17:XX:XX:XX. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.'

The MAC address of the network device that is supposedly conflicting with the workstation belongs to the WRE54G device. I know for certain that the WRE54G is running on the default 192.168.1.240. This issue is starting to smell like a firmware problem with the WRE54G. I am interested in what others think about it especially Linksys.

Here is some more information about my network topology and things I have tried to resolve this issue.

The network topology is
Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router / Access Point (Version 5)
Linksys WRE54G Wireless Range Expander (Version 2)
D-Link DSL-302G ADSL Modem
Windows SBS 2003 Domain Controller / DHCP Server...
Wired & Wireless Workstations Windows XP Sp2 or Vista Business

I have tried
Conducting a complete power cycle of all devices on the network.
Upgrading the firmware of the WRE54G which is now running firmware version v2.01.12.
Setting a static IP address for the workstation with the conflict.
Changing the IP address of the WRE54G from the default 192.168.1.240.

None of the above has made any difference whatsoever.
ridcully

Re: WRE54G - Phony IP Address Conflict

Rebbot all the systems one after another ... see if the error message goes or not ...
If not check if you are using any static Ip on any device ...
Aotearoa

I have tried rebooting the systems one after the other otherwise known as a full power cycle. I have checked all the IP Addresses of the devices on the network including devices that have a static IP address and there is no conflict.

It is obvious that the WRE54G is causing some kind of issue because when I turn the device off the problem goes away, furthermore when I change the IP address of the XP workstation producing the error I still get the problem. It doesn't matter which IP address I choose for the workstation, while the WRE54G is running I get the error message 'There is an IP Address conflict with another system on the network.'

The WRE54G is running on 192.168.1.240. I am 100% certain that there are no other devices operating on my network with this IP address. I know this because my network is very small it has only 7 devices on it. I know the IP Address for all 7 devices and there is no IP address conflict.
Aotearoa

[ Edited ]
Just chatted with Linksys support (not the first time, so I don't have supreme confidence that this will work). They say they have received this question many times and the problem is an "IP Binding Issue". The fix is supposedly to simply change the WRE IP to .241 Then, power off all network devices, including clients. Power on the router, then expander and finally other devices. They assure me this will work.

I have been reading similar posts about this issue and believe that as stated above this is an IP Binding Issue. They recommend changing the IP address of the WRE54G from 192.168.1.240 to 192.168.1.241. I would do this if the device would let me. When I change the IP Address of the WRE54G and click save the device disappears from the network. The only way to get it back is to power off and on the device in which case it restarts back at 192.168.1.240 without actually saving the new IP address.

(Mod Note: Edited for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by Maximus on 01-11-2008 01:35 PM
NowConnected

I was able to change the device ip to .241. It's been about 1/2 hour with no ip conflict error message...
NowConnected

The same IP Address Conflict error happened after about an hour. Changing to .241 didn't help anything.

It doesn't appear though that this error is actually hurting performance though, it's just annoying.
Aotearoa

Does anyone from Linksys actually read this forum? This phony IP Address conflict message has been appearing every 5 minutes on my workstation for about a month... it's getting a little old. Does the Linksys helpdesk have any better ideas other than rebooting the device? Clearly I am not the only person with this problem. Come on Linksys how about helping your customers out here?
Kyrkan

I just want to announce that you are not alone - same range expander here, and same problem. And I find it very, very annoying in the long run...
HomeDesigner

I found the problem (in my case) to be related to the location of the computer in relation to the location of the Wireless Access Point and the Range Expander.  My DHCP server will see the packets on occasion coming from the same IP address (the computer's) but from two different means (the Wireless Access Point and the Range Expander).  I found that by relocating the range expander and/or the access point, the problem would go away.  I hope this helps your situation. 
southernfried

I was getting that message too right after setup with the LAN cable still attached. I unplugged the LAN cable and the message went away.  Haven't gotten it since.