Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
qtiphawk33

WRE54G SIte Survey Fail

I just purchased the Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G and when I insert the CD it says site Survey fail.  I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and was able to fix it.  My actual wireless router is WRT54GS and the wireless card I have in my desktop is a WMP110 Rangeplus Wireless PCI Adapter.
forsaken

Re: WRE54G SIte Survey Fail

How you are trying to configure your WRE? If the WRE is connected to the Router or to the Computer. If you have conncted the WRe to the Computer then you need to assigne a Static IP to your Computer.

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5, Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1- Preferred DNS 192.168.1.1, Alternate DNS - 4.2.2.2 >>Click on Ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window. 

Now try to run the setup disk on your Computer and re-configure all the settings on your WRE. 

qtiphawk33

Ok,  So I tried to connect the WRE to the computer via LAN line with the different IP address and subnet mask etc.,  and it still says site fail,  It happens right away on step one,  I click next and it says configuring network connection and than it performs a site survey which fails.  I will explain some more details to see if it helps.   The WRE itself has 2 blue lights when I connect the LAN cable to it.  I am in the basement of the house and I only get 2 bars on the desktop I am on, that is why I wanted the WRE.  My OS is Vista 64 bit and the Router that I am trying to connect to wirelessly has a WEP password.  I cannot hook up any LAN cables downstairs otherwise I would have just went with that to get my internet.  A weird deal was when I was upstairs with my roomates labtop which uses XP i could configure it but than I took the WRE downstairs and the desktop didnt pick it up and I refreshed the wireless many times but all I got was the same 2 bars and a fair to good connection.  So I reset it by holding the reset button for 20 seconds.  I than tried downstairs and I got the same Site Survey fail right away on step one.  So I went back upstairs to try and figure it out again and I couldnt get it to work.   
forsaken

As you have mentioned in your Post that you have already connected the WRE54G to your Computer and both the lights are Blue on your WRE54G, so i think that the reason when you run the setup disk you are getting that error message on your Computer (Site Survey Failed). As you have already assigned a static IP to your Computer, you dont have to run the setup disk on your Computer, you can configure all the settings on your WRE Manually. Follow the steps bellow.

Press and hold the reset button for 60 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your WRE54G, wait for 60 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your WRE54G...

On your Computer - Click on Start - Run - CMD and click Ok, now in the Command Prompt window type "ping 192.168.1.240" without quotes and hit enter and check if you are getting any replies, If yes, then Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop). In the address bar type - 192.168.1.240 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Once you Login to the WRE setup page, First change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) and the channel and click on Save Settings... Once back to the same page, now under "Wireless Security" click on Enable and click on "Edit Security Settings" and now in the "Key1" you can type your security key and click on Save settings. 

Now Unplug the power from the WRE and the Ethernet cable, wait for 30sec and re-conncet the power to the WRE and check the Light status on your WRE, But the "ACT and LINK" light should be Blue. Remove the static Ip from your Computer and Connect to your Wireless Network, Once connected to your Network again open the command prompt window and type "ping 192.168.1.240" and hit enter and check if you are getting any replies, if yes then your WRE is configured properly and ready to use. 

Nazarr

i have the same problem.but a byt different.I have the wreg54g conected to my laptop ,i receive ping using cmd.but site survey fails.link led is red and activity led is blue.what should i do.

meegosh

Nazarr wrote:

i have the same problem.but a byt different.I have the wreg54g conected to my laptop ,i receive ping using cmd.but site survey fails.link led is red and activity led is blue.what should i do.

Hi, 

If the Link LED on the expander lights up red, it means that there is no connection established between the range expander and the router. 

Follow this Article ID: 4103 to access the web-based setup page of your WRE54G. Once you're on the setup page, continue with Step 2 from this Article ID: 22491.

Hope this helps. :smileywink:

---
If everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer..