Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
marchingontogether

WRE54G and WAP54G DHCP Problem

Hi,

Please can someone help me. 

Current setup:-

Cisco ASA 5505 with DHCP Server enabled on the inside interface.

Linksys  WAP54G cabled directly into the above interface on the Cisco ASA.

Linksys WRE54G with a wireless connection to the above access point using the same SSID and Channel.

When connecting my laptop to the linksys access point, the laptop obtains an IP address allocated from the Cisco ASA and works perfectly.

When adding the WRE range extender into the mix and connecting my laptop via the extender the laptop fails to obtain an IP address. The extender is connecting to the AP ok, it has 2 blue lights and i get a strong signal.

I have carried out packet captures on both my laptop and the inside interface of the CISCO ASA. The capture on my laptop shows DHCP discovery packets leaving my wireless interface, however, i receive no acknowledgement. when i run the same capture on the Cisco ASA i see the discovery packet hit the interface and a subsequent dhcp offer packet leave the interface, however, the offer packet does not reach the laptop when connecting via the extender.

Can anyone kindly offer any advise that doesnt involve throwing the extender in the bin!!?

Thanks

brickmonkey

Re: WRE54G and WAP54G DHCP Problem

Where exactly you have connected WRE54G..? Between the router and WAP..? or After WAP..?

Have you assigned the gateway on the WRE..?

What is the ip address of the router..?

marchingontogether

[ Edited ]

The WRE54G is connected after the WAP.

The router's IP is 10.10.10.254 and is configured to allocate DHCP addresses within this range.

The AP's management IP is 10.10.10.1 and the gateway is 10.10.10.254 (router address).

The Extender's management IP is 10.10.10.2 and the gateway is 10.10.10.254 (router address).

When connecting to the wireless network via the AP, it connects and receives an address.

When connecting to the wireless network via the extender, it connects but does not receive a DHCP address. Signal is strong and the extender shows both blue lights.

Message Edited by marchingontogether on 02-03-2010 06:31 AM
brickmonkey

On your Computer which is connected to WAP or to your Cisco Router, Open the Command Prompt window and try to ping the Expander and check if you are getting any reply messages?