03-30-2012 11:30 AM
I have found what appears to be a Linksys WRE54G and would like to use it in our food pantry. I need to manually config the RE. There is only one AP - a Westell 7500 which I believe will feature WDS.
Now, there is this that I'm trying to follow: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=
Why can I not find the "wired" connector RJ32x on top of the unit as depicted? Did these come through at one time without the wired facility? The serial no. is MGB004807329.
03-31-2012 02:43 PM
The older model of WRE54G range extender does not have an Ethernet port for wired configuration. Here are the steps to configure the WRE54G.
1. When you begin to change the settings on the range expander, you must turn off your router. The range expander will show up on your available wireless networks as Linksysxxxxx where the xxxxx is a random sequence of numbers and letters.
2. Plug in the range expander
3. As you have version 1 of the range expander, you will not have the convenient Ethernet cable port for initial configuration. Everything will have to be done via wireless connections.
4. Set your wireless card to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.200 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.240. This can be done in Network Connections, Properties, TCP/IP properties.
5. Open your available networks and make sure you connect to the SSID of the range expander.
6. Once you are connected to the network of the range expander, open your browser and type 192.168.1.240. The setup screen for the range expander should appear.
7. Leave the user name blank and enter "admin" for the password (Linksys default).
8. Make the changes that you want.
9. Save your changes before exiting.