Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lrscpa
Accepted Solution

WRE54G v3 - Easy, Foolproof setup instructions.

1. Throw out CD that came with it.
2. Plug the extender into a wall outlet, then into your router via the ethernet cable. 
3. Open an internet browser and type in "192.168.1.240", default password is 'admin'.  Once you are in the set up screen, change all of the settings to match that of your router, exactly (channel, security, etc., EXCEPT SSID).
3. In the gateway slot, put the IP address of your router (i.e. 192.168.1.1).
4. Save settings.
5. At this point, with the extender still hard wired to your router, it is a good idea to update the extender's firmware.
6. When setup screen comes back after extender reboot, change the SSID to match that of your router. As soon as you have changed and saved your SSID, unplug the extender from both the wall and the router.
7. Put extender in the desired place, and wait for the blue light to turn red, and then back to blue. If it doesn't turn back to blue in about 1 minute, reset the extender and repeat the steps over.

Note, the range extender does not support WPA2, only WPA.

I had a TiVoHD and PS3 in my family room go from 15%-40% singnal to 80%-95%.

wrw624

Re: WRE54G v3 - Easy, Foolproof setup instructions.

Big help. CD wasn't working at all for me; this fixed things pretty quickly. Thanks.
woodprinz

FOOLPROOF SETUP too much for me

I was able to follow #1 and #2 to T. But #3 proved me to be a fool, so I didn't get to #4-#7.

Sadly, I never had a chance to try "admin." Typed "192.168.1.240" with and without http:// and https// into three browsers (MSIE, Firefox, Opera) with minimized security, each with the same result: "web site not found, etc." and/or 1,930 google hits entitled "cannot access 192.168.1.240."

Inputs based on the IP that router assigned to my PC didn't connect either.
ColinH

Thanks for these instructions. Got me up and running. Note (probably obvious, but had me guessing for a bit) if you have activated *MAC address filtering* on your router, don't forget to assign the WRE54G's MAC address to the list!! (The MAC address appears at the top of the information window when you log on to the range extender, following the above instructions)

Cheers!

Thanks. 

If only I had this info 3 months ago.  I'd tried nuerous times to get it working.  The final piece in the puzzle for me was the WPA security setting (I was using WPA2).

The family is now happy again.... for now.

- Paul

STLiddle

If your router's default Local IP address is 192.168.0.1 (the ip address that is used to login to the router), it will need to be changed in the router settings to 192.168.1.1 .  If this is not done before connecting the extender to the router via the ethernet cable, you will not be able to login to the extender.

1. Throw out CD that came with it.
2. Plug the extender into a wall outlet, then into your router via the ethernet cable. 
3. Open an internet browser and type in "192.168.1.240", default password is 'admin'.  Once you are in the set up screen, change all of the settings to match that of your router, exactly (channel, security, etc., EXCEPT SSID).
3. In the gateway slot, put the IP address of your router (i.e. 192.168.1.1).
4. Save settings.
5. At this point, with the extender still hard wired to your router, it is a good idea to update the extender's firmware.
6. When setup screen comes back after extender reboot, change the SSID to match that of your router. As soon as you have changed and saved your SSID, unplug the extender from both the wall and the router.
7. Put extender in the desired place, and wait for the blue light to turn red, and then back to blue. If it doesn't turn back to blue in about 1 minute, reset the extender and repeat the steps over.

sergeantman010

Hey I'm having a problem...

I want to switch my wireless network to a WPA-TKIP security, but whenever I do, my range expander needs to be reconfigured. This would be no problem, except whenever I make the switch, I cannot access the 192.168.1.240 page.

Could this be the type of security?

Any suggestions?

THIS IS FRUSTRATING :smileymad: :smileymad: :smileymad: :smileymad: :smileymad:

genepowel

When I try to go to the IP address, a pop-up asks for user name and password.  What user name should I use?

genepowel

Sorry.  No user name - just password "admin".  Yikes.

fhmutairi

Hi there,

Nice guide, I've started getting a message on my windows xp that the ip is used by another computer when I connect the range expander and change the gateway to the ip address of the router!!

Beside after setting up everything, I took the expander a bit away from the router and the signal was really weak, It seems that it is not connecting to it.

Regards