Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bleefo

WRE54G v3 - WEP key setting when using ASCII passphrase

When entering WEP information for this device you may notice that the range expander is asking for the WEP key in hex (for example: 128 bits 26 hex digits). If the key that you have set in your router is using a passphrase then you will need to convert it to hex. Entering the passphrase and clicking the generate button will not work if your router is set to use ASCII as the WEP key format. The result seems to be that the PC may attempt to connect (and/or show as connected) but will not receive an IP address and does not really connect to your network. Strangely, the WRE54G will show that it has connected sucessfully to the router. Instead, convert the passphrase to hex one character at a time then enter the hex digits as the hex key. For example: if you are using 128 bit and your passkey is: 1234567890123 then enter 31323334353637383930313233 as the 128bit hex key (1 in ASCII = 31 in hex, 2 in ASCII = 32 in hex, etc...). http://www.asciitable.com/ 

dibbler

Re: WRE54G v3 - WEP key setting when using ASCII passphrase

What is the model number of your wireless router?

WRE shows connected to the router. Try to ping the IP address of WRE and see if you get replies from the range expander.

bleefo

Re: WRE54G v3 - WEP key setting when using ASCII passphrase

Hi, The solution I posted above works for me :smileyhappy: . I can ping the WRE from the network and access the configuration page. The wireless router I am connecting to is a TP-LINK TL-WR340G. The extender is a WRE54G ver. 3 running v3.04.01 firmware. Instead of converting the passphrase to hex I could just set the TP-LINK router to use a hex key instead but thats a pain. Then I would have to type in a long hex key when adding another wireless device to the network or when allowing a guest device on the network. An ASCII passphrase is so much easier to remember and much less typing. If I leave the TP-LINK router set to accept an ASCII passphrase then convert the ASCII passphrase to hex and enter it into the WRE extender then I can use an ASCII passphrase when connecting a device through the extender :smileyhappy: .

What I found confusing initially though (before finding the solution) was that if I enter the ASCII passphrase into the extender setup and click the generate button for it to generate the 4 hex keys, the extender claims to connect successfully. I cannot ping it from the network and a wireless device will not get a connection through it but the light does turn blue and the setup screen shows the correct mac address in the link status section. Seems like a bug...